• March 29, 2024, 01:56:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Burning smell in Eco mode?  (Read 2389 times)

kcoplan

• View Profile
Burning smell in Eco mode?
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:40:36 PM »

Yesterday, I tried my 2012 Zero S in Eco mode for the first time after riding on the parkway for about ten miles in sport mode.  I switched to Eco mode for the secondary rides, and I switched with the bike powered off, as per the instructions.

While riding in Eco mode, I could swear I smelled burning electrical insulation.  When I got to my stop, I sniffed around the bike, but couldn't find the source of the smell, and didn't really smell it anymore.   I switched to sport mode after that, and haven't ridden in eco ode since.

Anyone else have this problem?  Is this something I should be worried about? I only have 70 miles on the bike.  For now I am going to avoid Eco mode, and maybe call Zero tech support.

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Burning smell in Eco mode?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 08:13:46 PM »

I haven't experienced that and I switch back and forth between the two modes a lot while riding, especially dirt riding. I have a momentary switch on my left bar that I use to go into ECO for short periods of deceleration while riding in SPORT, and never shut off the bike to change. You may have a componet failure or short circuit somewhere in the regen circuit.

Trikester

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »

That is a new one on me.  Sometimes you get random smells when first operating new bikes or cars.  Perhaps some electrical tape somewhere melted.  I would give it another try and see what happens.  I can't imagine what difference there would be between sport and eco mode that could cause anything to cause a burning smell in one mode and not the other.  As far as I know, eco mode is exactly like sport mode except that it limits power on acceleration and doubles the amount of regeneration power produced when coming to a stop.  Neither of those differences would seem to be able to result in a burning smell.  It might also have come from the surrounding environment, such as a nearby automobile or a restaurant overly barbecuing something.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:47:15 PM »

I would give it another try and see what happens.  I can't imagine what difference there would be between sport and eco mode that could cause anything to cause a burning smell in one mode and not the other.  As far as I know, eco mode is exactly like sport mode except that it limits power on acceleration and doubles the amount of regeneration power produced when coming to a stop.  Neither of those differences would seem to be able to result in a burning smell.  It might also have come from the surrounding environment, such as a nearby automobile or a restaurant overly barbecuing something.   ::)

Completely agree.   I'd try it again before calling anyone.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »

I find that on an electric motorbike, without the regular noise of the engine, you become hyper aware of your surroundings.  I often smell the brakes or diesel fumes of trucks that are out of view ahead of me while riding and suspect something is going on with my bike until I catch and pass them. Even the sound of the front brake working was new to me.

I would bet that whatever you smelled was something else burning around you, your brake pads bedding in, or your motor getting up to temperature for the first time.  But it is always good to inspect your bike before and after a ride.

-ryan

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:48:01 AM »

Thanks.  I'll just keep my eyes and nose open for now.

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 02:31:28 AM »

Yesterday, I tried my 2012 Zero S in Eco mode for the first time after riding on the parkway for about ten miles in sport mode.  I switched to Eco mode for the secondary rides, and I switched with the bike powered off, as per the instructions.

While riding in Eco mode, I could swear I smelled burning electrical insulation.  When I got to my stop, I sniffed around the bike, but couldn't find the source of the smell, and didn't really smell it anymore.   I switched to sport mode after that, and haven't ridden in eco ode since.

Anyone else have this problem?  Is this something I should be worried about? I only have 70 miles on the bike.  For now I am going to avoid Eco mode, and maybe call Zero tech support.

I had a similar thing happen to me. But I think the theory that we were smelling someone else's burning wiring is the correct one. Plus all of the talk of the "glitch" here has us all hyper-aware of potential problems.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 02:51:51 PM »

yeah, if she runs fine, its fine.
smells, sounds everything -- around you, you notice so much more with a Zero, you are one with the environment.  :) The real ZEN of MC
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 11:53:04 PM »

If you apply your front or rear bake your bike will always do "stronger" regenerative braking as neutral throttle in ECO Mode.
Therefore having a defect Controller would always produce burning smell.

I have also experience, you hear feel and also smell so much using the Zero.

Once I nearly pulled over because I heard a strange noise than I saw an airplane at the sky ;D
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 12:01:08 AM »

I have often thought I smelled that but it was trucks or things around me. If you want to be double sure though, take out your quick charge plug on the side of your battery and smell in there. If that doesn't smell bad, then you are A OK, if something was wrong, it will smell HORRIBLE, not just a little.

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:03:38 AM »

Rode in Eco mode again today and didn't smell anything, so I guess things are ok.
Pages: [1]