• March 28, 2024, 03:51:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tools Question  (Read 1186 times)

ColoPaul

• View Profile
Tools Question
« on: August 25, 2012, 08:11:00 AM »

I noticed my drive belt is getting a little loose.  Last I checked, around 1000 miles, it was within the 20-30 kg spec limit.
Now it's down to 15 kg. (2170 miles)   So I'm thinking about tightening it.
Anyone out there done this yet?  I know offthegrid has popped his motor in and out so maybe he can answer!
The motor hex bolts need 18 & 22 ft-pounds.  All I have for Allen wrenches are little "L" shaped ones, maybe 1"x4".  Clearly those won't do.
Also, the access to some of the bolts seems, ummm, not real direct.

What size/style allen wrenches are good?
Any tips for getting at the 4 motor mount bolts?

Thanks in advance...
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

dkw12002

• View Profile
Re: Tools Question
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2012, 09:58:16 AM »

I think they would work. I removed my rear wheel and axle using a cheap set of Husky Allen wrenches. I imagine the axle is as tight as anything on the bike. The hex nut was 6 mm. My kit has a plastic handle that the hex key fits into so you can get good leverage. I suppose you could break one, but I didn't. Try it.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 08:05:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure I used the little L shaped ones myself.  I do like to use a regular box end wrench on the end of the allen key for leverage though to break bolts loose.  I'll pay better attention when I replace my motor next time, which looks like it will be happening in a week or two, as I think the potting material for the encoder under repeated thermal expansion has allowed shifting to a less than optimal position.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 08:31:54 PM »

My recollection is that the Zero owners manual has a section describing how to properly move the motor to adjust the tension of the belt drive.  While I haven't had to adjust my belt yet, it looks easy enough.  All you need is the proper size hex wrench socket attachment and a short extension for your 3/8" drive ratchet and torque wrenches.  These items are sold in every Sears store tool section - as well as most hardware stores.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 03:28:46 PM »

I used standard tools and my Harley tool kit to loosen the motor today. You meed these special size Allen keys.
In fact i had to go on and get the motor Out. But this is another thread.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 05:00:55 AM »

OK, got the belt all tensioned properly.  :) It wasn't too bad, could do it in about 10 minutes now that I've been through it.
I did buy a #5 and #6 allen hex adapter for my socket wrench.  That made 3 out of the 4 motor bolts a snap!
The top back motor bolt is hard to get at.  I had to use my little hex key rigged with a plastic 'extender' to get it loose.
The bottom back motor bolt is partially blocked by the belt - no big deal with the socket wrench & an extender
Same with the bottom front bolt, partially blocked by the brake lever - again no big deal.

Also, as a added bonus, during the process I noted that my kickstand bolt was WAY loose  :o (a good 6 full turns!) and I was probably about to lose the kickstand in the next 100-200 miles....
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 05:19:55 AM »

Good documentation. Should be useful for other people. Saved yourself $50 too.
Pages: [1]