• April 23, 2024, 04:40:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is the 2012 Zero XU reliable and how many folks here have them?  (Read 2269 times)

Jiminy

• View Profile

Hey y'all,

The title pretty much sums up what I want to know.  I'd like to get an estimation of sample size of those owning them here and also if there are any known issues. I have an electric bike that I like but I want the street cred of an actual motorcycle.  Seems like everybody wants around you when you ride an electric bike even if you are going the speed limit. A proper M/C with brake lights and turn signals would make my small commute and errand running a little safer.

All of my motorcycle experience has been on BMW's, mostly aircooled boxers.  I do like the idea of a 230 pound bike and don't plan on going on the highway with it.  I will charge it on solar no matter the cost.

Any ideas?

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: Is the 2012 Zero XU reliable and how many folks here have them?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 09:25:55 AM »

We've sold a few of the 2012 XUs out of our shop and haven't had any issues.  Due to the limited range and top speed, they are not as popular as the S & DS models, but our customers that have them love them.  Any specific questions or concerns you have about the bike?
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Jiminy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 06:47:29 PM »

Harlan,

I was specifically looking for fork seal leaks, glitching or any of the things that seem to be happening more commonly on the S and DS. This is basically a new powertrain and it takes a while for issues to pop up if they are gonna pop up.

Thanks,
Jim

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:25:36 PM »

Hi Jim.  I have been riding BMW boxers for years, starting with a 1985 R80.  In addition to other motorcycles, I also currently own an R1200R and an F650GS.  Unfortunately, I have not been riding them as much as I used to do.  Instead, I have been riding my 2012 Zero S all around the area getting my chores done, not buying gas and not driving my car at all. It is a lot easier to just turn the key and ride off for a short ride to the store, a doctor appointment, to visit friends and relatives, etc., without needing to warm up the bike and worrying if the ride will be long enough to recharge the battery and if the oil will get hot enough to keep acids from forming.  If I was still working I would be riding the Zero every day to work and back. 

When I was working and had my Electric Motorsport GPR-S, I rode it every day the 10 miles to work and back. I had a spot near my window where I was able to park my bike on the sidewalk, plug an extension cord into the wall outlet under my desk, shove it out the window and recharge my bike before returning home. Very convenient.

So far, in 2000 miles, I have had the "glitch" once, my bike has stalled out three times and my turn signal flasher unit failed.  Everything but the "glitch" has been resolved by Zero.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:16 AM »

2012 Zero XU here. I check for leaking fork seals before each ride, no problems yet. No "glitch" yet either, but it looks like I have to put on a lot more miles before that has the potential to appear.
bikeless

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 07:21:52 AM »

We haven't had any of our XU owners experience the "glitch" or any other problems, but the sample size is much smaller as we sell predominantly Zero S and DS models
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Jiminy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 07:42:03 PM »

Hi Jim.  I have been riding BMW boxers for years, starting with a 1985 R80.  In addition to other motorcycles, I also currently own an R1200R and an F650GS.  Unfortunately, I have not been riding them as much as I used to do.  Instead, I have been riding my 2012 Zero S all around the area getting my chores done, not buying gas and not driving my car at all. It is a lot easier to just turn the key and ride off for a short ride to the store, a doctor appointment, to visit friends and relatives, etc., without needing to warm up the bike and worrying if the ride will be long enough to recharge the battery and if the oil will get hot enough to keep acids from forming.  If I was still working I would be riding the Zero every day to work and back. 

Hey Richard,

I, too, am having a hard time cold starting my ICE car to run around. I even have a Nissan Leaf that I'll leave in the garage if the electric bike is sufficient to run a certain errand. My drive to work is a 2.3 mile ride but it's too hot right now in San Antonio to ride my regular bicycle so I ride the electric bike instead. I've gotten to where I hate to drive a car to work. Riding is so much nicer. BUT, drivers aren't too bike friendly here so I'm researching the electric motorcycle. I can be riding slightly above the speed limit on my bicycle and still have people want to get around me since I'm on just a bicycle. I always found that I got more respect on a M/C when wearing a white helmet since I guess car drivers thought I might be a cop.

Either which way, electric transportation is where it's at.  -Jim

mentalvmaxrider

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 03:40:46 AM »

no issues here after 750 kms on the clock

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 05:29:09 AM »

2012 Zero XU here. I check for leaking fork seals before each ride, no problems yet. No "glitch" yet either, but it looks like I have to put on a lot more miles before that has the potential to appear.

:-\
Man what a difference one year makes. It's not just miles you have to look out for, but also as the components age. I had about 3 weeks of riding with my XU this year, between waiting for a BMS repair from APR-JUL and then waiting for the "glitch" repair from JUL to now...
bikeless

KrazyEd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 07:09:43 AM »

I picked up a left over 2012 XU in August. Upon servicing for delivery, they noticed a fork seal leak. The dealer swapped out the forks from
another bike, and, let me take it. They sent a new set of forks, not just seals, and, they swapped them back as I waited. I have put about
500 miles on the new forks, and, they seem to have developed some seeping as well. I have about 1200 miles on the bike, and, no major
issues other than a flasher unit going out. Flasher was replaced at same time as forks, still working fine. Living in Vegas, I should be pushing
it to it's limits for hear in the summer, but, by the time I got it, we were already into our "Monsoon" season, and, then, it cooled off, so,
never really stressed it in major heat.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 08:18:32 PM »

Interestingly, the flasher unit was the only real parts failure that I have experienced on my 2012 Zero S.  It failed after only a couple months of riding and was replaced with one from a 2011 left-over bike on the showroom floor.  Since then my flashers have been working as they are supposed to.  All of the other problems on the bike were fixed via recalls or factory modifications before I ever experienced them.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 01:00:39 AM »

What do you mean by the "flasher unit" ? the relay!

I had also a defect relay at ~2500 Km and got a replacement (Zero), unfortunately the new relay had a mirrored layout :o.

To be sure I measured both manually and when I tested the old with a power-supply it started to work again ;D

I used it because I didn't wont to rebuilt the socked. No I have 13000 Km and it still works fine!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 04:19:30 AM »

It was the device that is located under the front of the "tank" that failed.  (The gadget that goes "click, click" when the turn signals are activated.) That is the first time that I have ever had a turn signal unit fail in over 50 years of owning motorcycles.   ???

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 09:34:53 AM »

I've got a 2012 XU that my wife commutes back roads to work on (well, my wife owns & rides it, but I keep the household's motorcycles going, so I'm responsible for the Zero). I'm coming to this from a history of Eurobikes too. My current commuter bike is a 1981 Morini 500. Picked up the 2012 XU during the "cash for carbon" deal earlier this year.

Our family's experience with the XU is that your airheads are much more reliable. An old Morini is more reliable for that matter.

We got ours late March. Had it 4 days and the horn stopped working. I traced it to the horn itself, took Zero 2 weeks to send out a new one. Late June the bike stopped dead a couple of miles from home, I managed to get it working long enough to get home. Then it stopped completely. My wife said it sounded like something in the throttle assembly went click - so I emailed the dealer we got it from to send me out another throttle assembly. The dealer, btw, is 120 miles away, and our nearest dealer. (I pointed out that as I'd just fitted a completely new ignition system to the Morini, I was probably up to fitting a new throttle assembly).  This coincided with us heading overseas for a while, so the bike sat for a couple of months.

It took me a while to get back to it, and when I did, folks at the dealer said as a warranty job, they'd have to do it and couldn't send me the part. I tried to get the head of their service dept for a chat, we did the phone tag thing a few times, and never caught up. In the end I gave up and - we don't have a truck (carbon accounting?), and hiring a truck wasn't cheaper enough, by the time I included the 240 mile round trip - so the dealer came & picked up the bike. They've got it fixed pretty quickly - just under 2 weeks from it being picked up (today) - and now we just have to get it back. Guess we'll just pay for the dealer to transport it. Our transport costs for the warranty work will be the same as what it just cost me to get another bike's frame straightened.

My sense of our issues - some of the components used in the Zero XU are unreliable, and there's a good chance that they're going to stop working. They may be very cheap components leading to problems that - were they to occur in an out-of-warranty internal combustion engined bike - you'd resolve yourself easily (fork seals for instance). Less the case with a Zero. If you're some distance from a dealer you need to decide for yourself how you're going to deal with the hassle of getting the bike to your dealer, or arguing about doing the work yourself and then doing it (no Haynes/Clymer manuals for these). Presumably with an airhead, you've got experience working on motorcycles.

And we still don't have a second key, or the key details (so we could get a key if we lose the one we do have), for our XU despite nagging - both the dealer and Zero - since the day the bike was delivered. Make what you will of that.

The XU is a great idea, and when it works it's really lovely to ride. Comparable power to a CB100 or equivalent (XL125?) for anyone who remembers those old bikes - but with better brakes. Zero need to get their quality control act together on their components.

fwiw
Peter

PS hi folks.

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 07:38:37 AM »

Small update - just heard today that we're getting a second key....
Pages: [1] 2