• March 29, 2024, 09:56:42 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: What were the waterproofing recall modifications?  (Read 1045 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
What were the waterproofing recall modifications?
« on: August 22, 2012, 03:34:31 AM »

Today I rode another 25 miles without encountering the "glitch". But I was wondering if the BMS board was actually replaced under the waterproofing recall or was it just coated with a waterproofing compound?

My bike never had the glitch until the recall was performed.  I assume that Zero never encountered the glitch when testing the pre-production bikes. My bike is one of the first ones manufactured for public sale and probably had similar electronics to the pre-production models. I was just wondering if perhaps there was a change in the newer BMS board components as some point that is causing the glitch. Of course, if my existing board was only coated with waterproofing then there goes that idea.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: What were the waterproofing recall modifications?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 03:59:02 AM »

Zero sent me a new BMS board with the weatherproofing and I sent them my old one.

Suspect that is the case for all the bikes. If the weatherproofing is done at the dealer it's probably an uneven paste application; you can probably see it if you remove the BMS debug plug and look far to the right inside the battery box.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »

Last night I looked through the rubber plug-covered BMS debug port and the only thing that caught my eye was that the board behind the BMS indicator lights was speckled with white flakes that looked like what you might see when some rattle-can paint gets caught up in the wind and lands on a part that you didn't want to paint a few feet away. These small flakes were only on the right side of the board (looking at it from the front). They were all over the board and very close together, maybe 1mm apart.  There was no indication of anything that looked like a waterproofing coating to me.

So my question remains, could some bad component of the BMS board cause the glitch?  Or is it just a coincidence that my glitch started appearing immediately after the new waterproofed board was installed?
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Keith_Greensboro_NC

• Zero S ZF9, Purchased on 16 March 2012.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:19:31 PM »

This sure sounds like a loose electrical connection on something. A connection on a sensor, throttle, connection at the MBB or controller.
Pages: [1]