• April 24, 2024, 08:12:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero XU top speed and range  (Read 1856 times)

stenling

• View Profile
Zero XU top speed and range
« on: August 17, 2012, 02:39:37 PM »

What is the real world 2012 Zero XU top speed and highway commuting range?

I realise that Zero specifies 28 miles highway commuting range, but is this real world range or an optimistic estimate?

Likewise sustained top speed is specified as 55 mph. Can I expect this top speed under normal driving conditions?

Carl Anton

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:42:43 PM by stenling »
Former Vectrix owner, drives Think City 2010 EV
Oslo, Norway

craigq

• View Profile
Re: Zero XU top speed and range
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

I have a 2012 XU. If you're thinking about getting an XU for any type of highway commuting you should reconsider; you'll want something with more battery capacity and more motor (depending on the range you need the S ZF6 or S ZF9). The XU is fine for inner city, it's not a shining example of a highway commuter.

The advertised "28 miles highway range" is misleading, it's actually 50% distance at the low-speed UDDS cycle energy usage (38 Wh/mile) and 50% distance at a steady 55 mph speed energy usage (77 Wh/mile).
bikeless

stenling

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »

If you're thinking about getting an XU for any type of highway commuting you should reconsider.

My planned use for the XU would be a mixed 14 miles (one way) commute into Oslo. About 5 miles will be on the highway where I will need the top speed to be around 50 mph. The rest of the route the speed is about 20-40 mph in urban areas. My commuting route is fairly congested, so flexible handling in chaotic traffic is needed.

The Vectrix was a bit heavy in the congested traffic situation. I have tested the 2011 XU on the route, but found the top speed to be insufficient and the range a bit to short. Handligwise the XU was excellent. As we all know the drive train of the 2012 XU is completely redesigned so it is difficult to know how the 2012 XU would cope with the commuting route.

I can charge at work every day.

Do I really need the Zero-S or would the 2012 XU be sufficient?

Carl Anton
Oslo, Norway

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 04:33:45 PM »

Craigq - you're using wh/km.

5 miles at 50 mph would use around 600 Wh (23%) of the battery, 9 miles at 20-40 mph would likely use 600-800 Wh (23-31%). Call it 1.4 kWh (54%) of a 2.6 kWh total - should be okay as long as you can recharge at work each day and don't have extensive detours on the way home or going in.

My S goes close to Zero's top speed claim of 88 mph, but doing so requires a long straight and lying nearly flat on the bike. The XU can likely handle 50 mph no problem, but if you need to burst up to 60-65 mph to safely ride on the highway then you might reconsider.

As always, a test drive is best.

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

stenling

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:50:43 PM »

As always, a test drive is best.

I would have loved to test the 2012 XU, but the local dealer has no test bike.
This is the reason why I have to guess.  :)

Carl Anton
Oslo, Norway

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »

How cold does it get in Oslo? Are you planning to commute year-round on the XU?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

stenling

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 08:55:52 PM »

How cold does it get in Oslo? Are you planning to commute year-round on the XU?

Temperatures in Oslo are well below freezing point for parts of the winter. Minimum is around -13 degrees Fahrenheit.
I use the bike when there is no risk of ice or snow, ie. April-October.
It is possible to use even lighter bikes with winter tyres and special winter protective gear, but I do not take the risk these days and sticks to the car in the winter months. As a youth I used to drive all year round.

Carl Anton
Oslo, Norway

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 02:29:09 AM »

Craigq - you're using wh/km.

I wish we all used the metric system, then I wouldn't be looking at the wrong column in my spreadsheet. That and I shouldn't be allowed to post that early in the morning before coffee...

As Proto stated, the XU will be capable of the distance/speeds you've outlined for your commute. Whether you would like it under those conditions is another story. My commute is ~46.6 KM (according to Google Maps, according to the Zero odometer it's 48.6 KM) round-trip with no charging at work. Part of it is at 50 KPH, part at 60 KPH, and part of it at 80 KPH. I've got about 13.2 KM at 80 KPH, the rest is at the slower speeds. The part I dislike the most, the 80 KPH sections as traffic is never travelling at 80 KPH. I make it home with 2-3 bars remaining, my charging log is here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Ap63JU985rHkdHF6T3dXaGxjSF9Tc2hFWlFZWmVFaXc#gid=0
bikeless

stenling

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 01:12:17 PM »

As Proto stated, the XU will be capable of the distance/speeds you've outlined for your commute. Whether you would like it under those conditions is another story.

@craigq: Thank you for sharing your experience. Your commute seems similiar to mine, but I always have the charging possibility at work. Hopefully this makes range considerations easier.

For the 80 KPH section: What is the top speed you regularly achieve (without lying flat)?

Carl Anton
Oslo, Norway

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 06:58:28 PM »

Carl, for the 80 kph section I've had to hit about 90 kph to move over safely going with the flow of traffic from the right-most lane to the left-most lane (three lanes total in each direction) in order to turn left at an intersection. That speed does not require tucking/laying flat.

I'm not sure if the advertised "65 mph" max speed requires tucking, greater than 16 KPH over in Ontario results in demerit points and fines so I stay away from that activity. Also, in Ontario electric motorcycles (regardless of their motor size/battery capacity) are not permitted on our "400 series" freeways, these are our main 100 KPH provincial freeways which are typically 2 or more lanes in each direction. I've yet to try to go above 90 KPH or so.
bikeless

stenling

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »

@Craigq: Very useful information for my purchase decision.

Carl Anton
Oslo, Norway
Pages: [1]