• April 24, 2024, 11:19:43 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Electric airplane sets new speed record  (Read 1053 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Electric airplane sets new speed record
« on: August 17, 2012, 09:46:27 AM »

Not a motorcycle but I've know for years that this day would come and now it is only the beginning. 8)

Wish I could be around for the next hundred years.

Trikester

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
Re: Electric airplane sets new speed record
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »

Great pilot. A "glitch" in the air is murder.  ;)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »

Yeah, and we complain, when our motor cuts out, about having to coast to the curb in traffic.  ::)

Keith_Greensboro_NC

• Zero S ZF9, Purchased on 16 March 2012.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »

Absolutely Cool! Are you guys interested in other EVs or mainly motorcycles?

Keith

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 01:35:27 AM »

I've been into electric model airplanes for many years. Back in the days of NiCad batteries and ferrite magnet brushed motors I would have to cycle my batteries and recharge the magnets on my motors after a day of flying. I was pulling 26 amps out of a 450 milliamp/hr battery pack when flying a contest model where I was allowed only 15 seconds of motor run.

Now with "outrunner" brushless motors and LiPo batteries it is a whole different world in electric model plane flying and from this new speed record in manned electric planes, it looks like a whole new world there also. Speaking of gears we used to have to gear our small high rpm motors down to swing large props. Now we just buy the right size motor to do the job without the loss and weight of a gear reduction.

Pretty neat that the 200mph mark was broken by an electric motorcycle and an electric airplane within a short time period of each other.

I also own a "Duffy" electric boat to cruise around the bay.

Trikester

Keith_Greensboro_NC

• Zero S ZF9, Purchased on 16 March 2012.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 05:41:14 AM »

I've liked RC planes since my teens. I didn't have a good place to fly so, I built a swamp buggy air boat from a kit. It was powered by a glow plug engine. I did have a small electric RC helicopter for a while several years ago.

I'm an electronics technician and part of TEVA, Triad Electric Vehicle Association, so I was not too concerned about no local dealer when I purchased my Zero. The only issue I've had is a leaking left fork. Zero shipped me a fork and the local motorcycle shop replaced it for me and Zero paid for it.

I did question Zero about getting some training on the BMS and controller but, they didn't show any interest in training an owner. I'm sure they have some kind of diagnostics they can run on a laptop, and that's what I would like to know about.

Keith

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 09:39:00 AM »

Yes they do have that. Harlan (Hollywood Electrics) uses a laptop for diagnostics and also to program the controller. He recently programmed mine to eliminate all regen in SPORT mode and gave ECO the same acceleration as in SPORT. It would be really good if those of us who have the aptitude and desire to work on (and modify) our own bikes could have access to these tools and training from ZERO.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:15:36 AM by trikester »
Pages: [1]