• April 25, 2024, 03:50:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Transmissions, etc  (Read 1528 times)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Transmissions, etc
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:08:31 AM »

...there's really not much left to talk about until the bike lands in third party hands - which might be this coming monday.
Exactly, else we have to arbitrarily choose one from the string of Empulse prototypes that have appeared over the last several years as "the" prototype that is equivalent to the future theoretical production bike.
Brammo has revealed exactly two Empulse street bikes to date. The Empulse concept revealed waay back in the halcyon days of July 2010 - though not billed as such at the time - and the production bike revealed in May 2012.

As of yet, Brammo still hasn't shipped the 2011 Enertia Plus product that competes with the Zero S FS9 that started to ship in April.
Zero revealed the 2012 bikes in November 2011 at EICMA, and started shipping the ZF6/ZF9 bikes in January 2012.

They "launched" [the Enertia Plus] in Oct. 2010...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1050571_breaking-brammo-launches-2011-enertia-plus-electric-motorcycle-doubles-range

Latest rumor from pre-order customers is that it ships in this month... maybe... almost 2 years after "launch"

http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=1449.0
Brammo has had a number of Enertia Plus bikes in the hands of the HK PD for a while now. I don't know if these are test units on loan or production units the HK PD owns outright.

Certainly both the Enertia Plus and the Empulse have been significantly delayed.

Is the current Empulse prototype the last one we'll see before they finally ship?

I wouldn't bet on it.
Would you care to bet against it? Say 10 forum nerd points, if that's more palatable? : )

It takes considerable effort to fail to see the obvious pattern of Brammo's inability to deliver.
No disagreement here.

The last 3rd party Brammo vs Zero performance test that I'm aware of is this one from back in 2010 between the currently shipping Enertia and the previous model of Zero S.

*snip*

Are you aware of any that are more up-to-date 3rd party tests, between the shipping 2012 Zero S and any shipping Brammo product?
Not shipping to individual customers, but Wired published a very brief riding review in March 2012 of the 2012 S and an Enertia Plus. Wired rated the Zero higher due to the Enertia's lack of a passenger seat and lack of power.

I'm confused - is the Empulse transmission bad because it has the Brammo / SMRE name on it? Or is it that it's a six speed vs a two speed?

Look back over my posts you'll see that I agree that there is an argument for two (2) gears that shifts the 0 to 40MPH torque curve up to 40MPG and higher.  An advantage over no xmission is possible if the 2-speed xmission is light enough and low friction enough and robust enough, which a six gear xmission cannot be.
I agree that a two-speed transmission is pretty ideal from an operations perspective - but I supect there's [Edit: not] much difference in weight or efficiency. We can ask Tesla how durable and robust the two speed transmissions are..
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 02:27:34 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
Re: Transmissions, etc
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 01:41:52 AM »

Brammo has revealed exactly two Empulse street bikes to date. The Empulse concept revealed waay back in the halcyon days of July 2010 - though not billed as such at the time - and the production bike revealed in May 2012.

Point is, if it ain't production enough for motorcycle.com to test it then it ain't production. Brammo has not produced a bike that meets that criteria since 2010.

Zero revealed the 2012 bikes in November 2011 at EICMA, and started shipping the ZF6/ZF9 bikes in January 2012.

Exactly, launched and delivered as promised on schedule.

Brammo has had a number of Enertia Plus bikes in the hands of the HK PD for a while now. I don't know if these are test units on loan or production units the HK PD owns outright.

Certainly both the Enertia Plus and the Empulse have been significantly delayed.

I've seen this behavior before. The weaker player pre-announces products to try to stall the stronger competitor's sales. The blogs and rags don't call the weaker player out for this sleazy behavior because they don't want to risk future ad revenue. Eventually the weaker player's credibility is totally shot and the stronger player owns the market.

Okay so two prototypes but how many price changes to date? Three? $10K to $17K to $19K. Do I hear $21K?

Would you care to bet against it? Say 10 forum nerd points, if that's more palatable? : )

Sure, but the bet has to include no more last minute pricing changes, either.

Not shipping to individual customers, but Wired published a very brief riding review in March 2012 of the 2012 S and an Enertia Plus. Wired rated the Zero higher due to the Enertia's lack of a passenger seat and lack of power.

Demo units to dealers does not = shipping product. A Wired review of a prototype does not = a performance shootout by motorcycle.com or other independent test.

I agree that a two-speed transmission is pretty ideal from an operations perspective - but I supect there's much difference in weight or efficiency. We can ask Tesla how durable and robust the two speed transmissions are..

Hard to compare the technical difficulty of developing a custom 2-speed xmission for a 300 lb-ft drivetrain propelling a 2700 lb car and one for a 40 lb-ft drivetrain moving a 430lb bike. The former is likely to blow up and the latter is likely to be too heavy and expensive to be worth it. If Zero does pull it off they will own the market.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:42:56 AM »

Point is, if it ain't production enough for motorcycle.com to test it then it ain't production. Brammo has not produced a bike that meets that criteria since 2010.
Okay, would you accept that it was roughly at the same level of production as the 2012 Zero bikes revealed at EICMA? Obviously they're not yet shipping, but Brammo has indicated a clear intent that this is the production bike.

I've seen this behavior before. The weaker player pre-announces products to try to stall the stronger competitor's sales. The blogs and rags don't call the weaker player out for this sleazy behavior because they don't want to risk future ad revenue. Eventually the weaker player's credibility is totally shot and the stronger player owns the market.

Okay so two prototypes but how many price changes to date? Three? $10K to $17K to $19K. Do I hear $21K?
Brammo announced three models in July 2010: $10k 6.0, $12k 8.0, $14k 10.0.

When they revealed the production bike in May they announced new prices: $17k base, $19k R.

"$10k to $17k" is a bit sensationalist, no? Brammo dropped the bottom two models and bumped prices up $3k.

Sure, but the bet has to include no more last minute pricing changes, either.
Done. 10 nerds points at stake: Empulse ships production bikes @ $19k R, $17k non-R as specified and revealed in the May 2012 launch.

I'd say we'd check back in June (Brammo's initial "ship date" for the Empulse R), but we appear to be somewhat beyond that date >.>

If Brammo intends to contest the eSuperStock award with an Empulse TTX then they need to have 25 Empulse Rs produced by end of August.

Here's a trio of "theoretical production" Empulses.

Demo units to dealers does not = shipping product. A Wired review of a prototype does not = a performance shootout by motorcycle.com or other independent test.
I'm not sure where Wes got a chance to ride the Enertia Plus, but probably it was indeed a development prototype. I would not be surprised if the shipping bikes (this month, supposedly) have a bit more oomph.

I agree that a two-speed transmission is pretty ideal from an operations perspective - but I supect there's much difference in weight or efficiency. We can ask Tesla how durable and robust the two speed transmissions are..
Hard to compare the technical difficulty of developing a custom 2-speed xmission for a 300 lb-ft drivetrain propelling a 2700 lb car and one for a 40 lb-ft drivetrain moving a 430lb bike. The former is likely to blow up and the latter is likely to be too heavy and expensive to be worth it. If Zero does pull it off they will own the market.
I still don't understand how a transmission in a Brammo bike is a travesty before god and man, but a transmission in a Zero bike will result in market domination.

Oh, two more bikes that use multi-gear .. or variable-gear .. transmissions .. Brutus and Sora. They make the Empulse seem like a high-production basement bargain bike.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 04:48:01 AM by protomech »

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 08:12:08 AM »

Okay, would you accept that it was roughly at the same level of production as the 2012 Zero bikes revealed at EICMA? Obviously they're not yet shipping, but Brammo has indicated a clear intent that this is the production bike.

Brammo launched the Enertia+ Oct. 2010 to deliver 80 mile range.

Zero announced a 100 mile range ZF9 a year later.

Within three months Zero shipped.

Brammo still hasn't shipped a 80 mile range product never mind one to compete with Zero's 114.

Why debate the status of a second fictitious product, the Empulse? Let's wait for them to ship the previous now two-years-late product before we debate the one-year-late product.

Seriously, it's a joke to compare the two companies.  It's like comparing Apple to Commodore in 1977.

Brammo announced three models in July 2010: $10k 6.0, $12k 8.0, $14k 10.0.

When they revealed the production bike in May they announced new prices: $17k base, $19k R.

"$10k to $17k" is a bit sensationalist, no? Brammo dropped the bottom two models and bumped prices up $3k.

But it's not a production bike. The price keeps changing as they discover, like new owners of a fixer-upper house, that the cost curve to get from an 80% completed renovation to a finished home is asymptotic. In a house you can always move in with the crappy bathroom that you hoped to tear out but ran out of money to fix because fixing the electrical wiring consumed the budget but with a production car or a motorcycle that means the thing don't friggin work. 

A production bike is a bike you order and they give you a delivery date and the bike shows up on that date.

Brammo hasn't come up with a new one since 2010. Period.

Three hand crafted bikes like you'd make in your basement.

Not production.

Here is what a motorcycle production line looks like, with QA and all the process needed to crank out bikes that don't come back to haunt you and chew up your profits

I still don't understand how a transmission in a Brammo bike is a travesty before god and man, but a transmission in a Zero bike will result in market domination.

An existing 6-speed gear box (heavy, high friction, unoptimized) stuck onto an electric bike = a custom 2-speed xmission (light, low friction, optimized)?

How?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:15:33 AM by ZeroSinMA »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »

One thing I would like to say in ZERO's behalf as a company. I put a deposit on a ZERO DS two years and one week before I got delivery of the 2010 DS. The first real production DS from ZERO. When I made my deposit two years earlier they listed the price of the DS at $9,000. To their good credit they grandfathered me in at that price and never attempted to raise it over the two year period. When I took delivery it was $9K even though the price to everybody else had risen to $10K. I got the bike for $1,000 less than they were selling for, and they threw in a low profile Corbin seat for nothing, as a token of appreciation for my waiting so long.

It would take a lot to get me to switch away from ZERO as a manufacturer. Case in point I now own two ZERO DS's and if I have enough years left on this planet I'll bet those aren't going to be my only ZERO's

What is Brammo doing for those who have waited?

Trikester

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »

Brammo launched the Enertia+ Oct. 2010 to deliver 80 mile range.

Zero announced a 100 mile range ZF9 a year later.

Within three months Zero shipped.

Brammo still hasn't shipped a 80 mile range product never mind one to compete with Zero's 114.

Why debate the status of a second fictitious product, the Empulse? Let's wait for them to ship the previous now two-years-late product before we debate the one-year-late product.
Enertia Plus was announced in October 2010, for delivery "in 2011".

At EICMA in November 2010 Brammo was telling people the E+ would ship in June or July 2011.

The Enertia+ is very late, no doubt. If it ships at the end of the month - and we'll see if it does - it'll be almost two years since the announcement. But by that logic, the 2012 Zeros were 3 months "late" when they shipped. The Enertia+ was just announced well in advance of its targeted delivery date, and then the delivery date slipped a year.

But it's not a production bike. The price keeps changing as they discover, like new owners of a fixer-upper house, that the cost curve to get from an 80% completed renovation to a finished home is asymptotic. In a house you can always move in with the crappy bathroom that you hoped to tear out but ran out of money to fix because fixing the electrical wiring consumed the budget but with a production car or a motorcycle that means the thing don't friggin work.
That's an awful analogy IMO.

The Empulse price has changed exactly one time, when Brammo revealed the production bike which differed significantly from the initial configurations. IET, level 2 charger, regen braking, brembo brakes, only a single top-end battery configuration. The initial Empulse configurations are closer to the 2012 Zeros than they are to the production Empulse .. which is partly why both Richard230 and I bought them.

Maybe Brammo would have been better served to retire the Empulse name and give the new bike a new name. Regardless, the Empulse as originally conceived is dead. I don't see an "asymptotic cost curve" - I see a one year slip in delivery, a significant change in the bike configuration over the two years between announcement and delivery, and a reveal of the final design and price shortly before delivery.

Three hand crafted bikes like you'd make in your basement.

Not production.

Here is what a motorcycle production line looks like, with QA and all the process needed to crank out bikes that don't come back to haunt you and chew up your profits

I wish I could crank out an electric bike like Brammo or Zero in my basement. You're moving the goalposts, though; first you criticized the Empulse because it was imaginary or theoretical, now it's that it's hand-crafted? Do you imagine Zero's assembly line was fully operational when they showed bikes at EICMA 2011?

Tell me more about the "QA and all the process needed to crank out bikes that don't come back to haunt you and chew up your profits". Brammo and Zero are both in the fairly early stages of standing up new manufacturing and design companies. Flaws happen; Brammo and Zero have both done an admirable job taking care of their customers when they do.

But if that's your definition of production, then Zero still does not have a production bike .. which means they're "late" .. which rounds up to "now two-years late"??

An existing 6-speed gear box (heavy, high friction, unoptimized) stuck onto an electric bike = a custom 2-speed xmission (light, low friction, optimized)?

How?
IET is not an "existing 6-speed gear box" as fitted to an ICE bike. It is an integrated transmission / motor package. SMRE makes both the motor and the transmission as a single unit .. the transmission is specifically designed for the motor.

One thing I would like to say in ZERO's behalf as a company. I put a deposit on a ZERO DS two years and one week before I got delivery of the 2010 DS. The first real production DS from ZERO. When I made my deposit two years earlier they listed the price of the DS at $9,000. To their good credit they grandfathered me in at that price and never attempted to raise it over the two year period. When I took delivery it was $9K even though the price to everybody else had risen to $10K. I got the bike for $1,000 less than they were selling for, and they threw in a low profile Corbin seat for nothing, as a token of appreciation for my waiting so long.

It would take a lot to get me to switch away from ZERO as a manufacturer. Case in point I now own two ZERO DS's and if I have enough years left on this planet I'll bet those aren't going to be my only ZERO's

What is Brammo doing for those who have waited?

Trikester
When they announced the Enertia Plus, they also announced a $2500 loyalty discount for the E+ to those that purchased an original Enertia. I haven't heard anything about the discount recently.. it may have fallen by the wayside.

Brammo bumped the price of the Enertia Plus by $2000 this February with no explanation and no special treatment for existing preorders. And unlike the Empulse, the Enertia Plus is basically the same configuration originally announced.

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 09:01:30 PM »

You may disagree but I think Brammo pre-announced an extended range Enertia+ product in 2010 a year before Zero's ZF9 in 2011 in order to steal Zero's thunder.

Brammo announced in 2010 and hasn't delivered yet.

Zero announced in 2011 and delivered on schedule in 2012.

If Brammo announced an extended range product at the same time as Zero and then failed to deliver, that's bad enough. But announcing so far in advance of any hope of delivering product was intended to cause prospects for an extended range product to wait for the Enertia+ before making a decision to buy a ZF9.

The ploy might have worked if Brammo had in fact been able to deliver the Enertia+ in 2011, but the strategy failed because Zero managed to get a product out before Brammo. Incredibly, to this day Brammo still hasn't delivered a product to compete with the ZF9.

It should be obvious to anyone who has spent any time in the manufacturing business that Brammo bit off more than it could chew when it decided to try to develop the plus and Enertia in parallel. I would not be surprised if they abandon the plus and bet the company on the Enertia. Either that or by the time the plus and Enertia come out maybe next year, Zero will have lapped them again with a new, higher performance production product.

I used the home renovation analogy because I thought you might be able to relate to it, since the obvious difference between a volume production product and a low volume prototype is not obvious to you.

Let's use the industry standard definition: If motorcycle.com won't test it then it ain't a production product. The last test they did was between the 2011 Zero S and a 2012 Zero S because those were the only two production bikes available to test.

At this point I think we should agree to disagree. You are willing to give Brammo a pass perhaps because they dangle a sexy looking product out there and race it, or at least sexy to some eyes. I think an electric that is made to look like an ICE sport bike is silly, with a bulging fuel tank for the gasoline that isn't there, but that's me. The first cars looked like horse carriages because both manufacturers and consumers lacked the imagination to see how an ICE made fantastic new vehicle configurations possible. It took decades and many iterations.

Sexy or not, I guess I'm the kind of guy who dumps the girl who shows up late for every date and doesn't offer to pay, or doesn't show up at all, no matter what she looks like. Other guys are not that way.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 06:22:15 AM »

Let's use the industry standard definition: If motorcycle.com won't test it then it ain't a production product. The last test they did was between the 2011 Zero S and a 2012 Zero S because those were the only two production bikes available to test.
Good news - motorcycle.com just wrapped up their review of the 2013 Brammo Empulse R.

I eagerly await motorcycle.com's future review of the 2013 Zeros and their subsequent shift in your estimation from a fictional bike to a production bike. ;) Perhaps they will write it as a comparison test of the two most significant 2013 production electric motorcycles.

The review was generally favorable to the Empulse, noting its excellent handling and braking. The transmission was a somewhat mixed bag - the traditional clutch and foot shifted boosted rider engagement, but the heavy clutch engagement and the odd neutral placement (between 2nd and 3rd gear) were oddities. They also critiqued the choice of six speeds in the transmission, suggesting that a two- or three-speed transmission would have worked just as well. (I tend to agree .. I'd love a simple two speed transmission on the Zero, but six speeds seems like a pain in the rear).

Brammo has delivered their first Empulse R to a paying customer (Edit: some 18 months after the projected delivery dates from 2010, and some six months after the producted production dates from the launch in May 2012). I imagine rollout will be slow but steady over the next couple of weeks as Brammo links up customers with dealers. It seems like they're shipping the bikes to dealers and allowing the dealers to arrange customer pickup, instead of shipping to the customer directly from the factory as Zero currently does and Brammo used to do (iirc).

« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 06:30:09 AM by protomech »

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 10:49:11 AM »

Hope some of the new owner of the Empulse R find the way to electricmotorcycleforum.com and share there experiences.

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 05:54:45 AM »

Good news - motorcycle.com just wrapped up their review of the 2013 Brammo Empulse R.

I eagerly await motorcycle.com's future review of the 2013 Zeros and their subsequent shift in your estimation from a fictional bike to a production bike. ;) Perhaps they will write it as a comparison test of the two most significant 2013 production electric motorcycles.

The review was generally favorable to the Empulse, noting its excellent handling and braking. The transmission was a somewhat mixed bag - the traditional clutch and foot shifted boosted rider engagement, but the heavy clutch engagement and the odd neutral placement (between 2nd and 3rd gear) were oddities. They also critiqued the choice of six speeds in the transmission, suggesting that a two- or three-speed transmission would have worked just as well. (I tend to agree .. I'd love a simple two speed transmission on the Zero, but six speeds seems like a pain in the rear).

Brammo has delivered their first Empulse R to a paying customer (Edit: some 18 months after the projected delivery dates from 2010, and some six months after the producted production dates from the launch in May 2012). I imagine rollout will be slow but steady over the next couple of weeks as Brammo links up customers with dealers. It seems like they're shipping the bikes to dealers and allowing the dealers to arrange customer pickup, instead of shipping to the customer directly from the factory as Zero currently does and Brammo used to do (iirc).

If motorcycle.com says it's shipping then it's shipping. Good enough for me.

Now let's see if it's truly a production product versus low volume, hand made, no two exactly alike.

The number of recalls for glitches of various kinds will be indicative. We shall see!
Pages: [1]