• April 26, 2024, 03:16:59 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I really do not like the direction Zero is headed...  (Read 2809 times)

Spires

• View Profile
I really do not like the direction Zero is headed...
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:41:19 PM »

I inquired about a new bike and they simply referred me to a dealer that's over an hour away.. I've already bought 2 bikes from them direct since back in 2009 and now they brush me off to a far off dealer?! I have to drive an hour and a half to talk to some used car salesman like guy and pay huge taxes on a bike now? They told me they wont deal to me personally.. Also when asked if I should wait until 2013 to see if those new models would be worth waiting for instead of a 2012 model, they simply say that they cannot speak about it.. No hints, not a single shred of info? Dude.. ANYTHING would have been nice! I have personally put more than 20k into Zero motorcycles and they treat me like a nuisance. So Now I have to drive too far to deal with someone else? No thanks, I don't like being brushed off. No info about 2013 over the 2012 model? Well I was wanting a bike soon with better range so I'm leaning on a MUCH cheaper KTM that I can get locally and not have to drive so damn far away. Zero's bikes are cool but they are getting heavier and very expensive, they wont deal with me and they don't help me out with small info on upcoming bikes.

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: Re: I really do not like the direction Zero is headed...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 11:30:29 PM »

As a dealer, it would make me very angry if Zero undercut me and sold a bike to a customer near my dealership. It is the job of the manufacturer to push clients towards it's dealers.

Zero needs to focus on building the bikes and let it's dealers do the selling. The success of them as a manufacturer depends greatly on the success of their dealer network and selling sideways would hurt their reputation with their dealers and thus their dealer retention and acquisition.

I'm also not sure why you think you'd be privy to info even the dealers aren't privy to. You want to know what the 2013 models are going to be like? I'm guessing they'll probably be better than the 2012s. Want more info? I guess you'll have to wait for the big announcement like everybody else.

Even if you have purchased two bikes from Zero, and I think that's great, but I'm not sure what sort of special treatment you expect from Zero. But if i were you i would start building a relationship with your dealer rather than post these petty complaints if you are truly a supporter.

If Zero wants to be a contender in this industry they need to start acting like the big boys and I think they should be applauded for the direction they are taking this company.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

dkw12002

• View Profile
Re: I really do not like the direction Zero is headed...
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 11:40:26 PM »

I think the reason they will not talk about 2013 is that they still have 2012s for sale, and the 2013s are likely to be much better...faster with longer range, meaning Zero/dealers would likely have to discount any remaining 2012s to sell them once the 2013s are announced. Discounts are bad for the bottom line. (Nokia stock is tumbling because nobody is buying their smart phones that run on Windows 7 because the new Windows 8 will not be compatible, so they are just waiting for Windows 8 phones. See what announcing details can do?) I would just wait, cause you might be able to buy a demo or unsold 2012 for a large discount...or the 2013s might be so much better that you want that. Also, the Empulse is due out any time and that may be an option. I don't think this is a good time to buy and pay full price. I bought my 2011 S as a demo and saved a lot of money. Think about it. If you buy a demo, the bugs have already been worked out and mileage (it had 1000 miles) is insignificant. January is the time to buy, I think. I agree with the problems of a far away dealer though. My Zero dealer is 4 miles away.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
Re: Re: I really do not like the direction Zero is headed...
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 11:51:14 PM »

I'm not sure what makes a person privy to industry secrects, but I know that after all the bikes I have bought and all the marketing I do at the track and at all the celebrity parties my awesome dealer throws, I don't expect special treatment from any body.

How do you expect a company to get market penetration without hard working dealers? How can they keep those dealers if they take their customers? You know what gets me excited? Knowing that I have to ride to my dealer... And it is a long ass ride for me, I have to stop for a coffee or 2 to charge on the way... But I don't complain... Because I lovey bikes I love zero, and I they are headed on the best direction. If taking a trip to a dealer that is an hour away from you is too much a pain in the ass for you, perhaps you don't belong in this forum. 20 grand isn't shit to have in these bikes man, that's not even going to pay one engineer for 2 months...

At least though, I know you would love my remote diagnostics add on though, because you would rather fix your bike over the phone with zero than tale it to a used car dealer type motorcycle dealer. Sorry if I seem like an ass here but come on man who do you think you are? Complaining about not getting special treatment really??

Spires

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 03:14:37 AM »

I'm sorry but since 2009 they've been like.. My best friend with several different employees talking to me over the years making sure I wanted to buy one of their bikes.. Neil even called to talk to me once to make sure I stuck around to buy their upcomming bike.. SO to call them about a new bike and be brushed off to a dealer thats an hour and half away that just got started selling Zero bikes was too cold for me.. I would think they would just keep dealing with me personally as they have been since 2009. Too much to ask? nah.. Also the dealer in question ive dealt with many times when I owned Jet ski's.. They suck balls.. No thanks.. And I'm not going 3 hours away to Seattle for a bike, then dealing with them for support because they will just make me bring it there every single time it has an issue.. I fix my own bikes, no thanks.
And the only thing I really wanted to know from 2012-2013 was weight increase and battery range.. If there was a hint they were exploring new battery types, I'd wait.. If the bikes were gaining weight, then I'd stick to 2012.. THe bikes are getting heavier and bulky..

Spires

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 03:18:54 AM »

I have no idea why you gathered I wanted special treatment? I merely figured they could trust that I wont run to the magazines or forums with it.. Jeeze a simple hint would suffice... Theyve done it in the past, so no big deal..

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 03:54:28 AM »

I have bought 42 motorcycles over the past 50 years and I have never had a representative from a major manufacturer be willing to speak to me.  They supply their bikes to their retail dealers and your contact with the manufacturer is through the dealer.

Before Zero had an expanding retail dealer establishment, they would work directly with the customer. When my bike had a stalling glitch, they sent an employee in a truck to my home, picked up my bike, fixed it at the factory and returned it to my home a few days later.  That is great service from a small company, but you can't run a business like that for very long when you start selling hundreds of motorcycles all over the world.  Zero is just maturing into a larger and more successful company as its sales increase.  Eventually, they have to concentrate on designing and manufacturing motorcycles and let their dealers sell their bikes to the likes of us. As a long-time BMW customer, I can assure you that BMW is not interested in their customers, only their dealers. We might not like it, but they make money with this policy and keep spitting out new motorcycles that we all line up to purchase.

I might add that I just returned from my retail dealer (they sell Zeros, Kawasakis, Yamaha and Hondas). They just repaired my two recalls and replaced a turn signal relay - which they had to pull off a showroom bike as the part was not in stock.  While there I spoke with the shop owner and the service manager. They were both were very pleasant and cordial and took time out of their day to shoot the breeze with me. They can do that, but a manufacturer just doesn't have the time to talk to their customers like that.  They need to get those bikes into their dealer's showrooms and make money so that they and their dealers can stay in business. 

Of course, I do have an appointment for Zero's new CEO to call me in two weeks so I can give him my 2 cents. That would never happen with a Japanese or European motorcycle manufacturer.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 05:01:24 AM »

A few observations, to add to what Richard said:

1. Some of this is the nature of the beast with elmotos right now. All the major elmoto manufacturers are startups, and have limited resources, and as demand starts to increase they have to focus somewhere. However, since demand is not that high, elmotos for various reasons generally only appeal to those who have  more-than-average passion about them in the first place, and the elmoto manufacturers are throwing all their resources into making and shipping bikes, the dealer network is not that large. This unfortunately creates a chicken-and-egg problem as this situation is not exactly something that's going to convince the more mainstream bike buyer to go electric.

2. I bought through a dealer, which I had to drive 200 miles to get to. However, prior to that I showed up unannounced at Zero's HQ in Scotts Valley, and they rolled a model (behind movie-theater rope) off the office lobby floor, gave me a helmet and gloves, and let me take it for a spin. So while I don't have the past experience with Zero that you do, they seem to be trying to me.

3. Pre-announcing their 2013 products and specs would severely cannibalize their 2012 sales if nothing else. I don't blame them for not doing it. Look at Apple's last quarter: no one knows what the iPhone 5 will be, but they know it's coming real soon now, and their iPhone 4S sales were adversely affected as a result. When you're not in the black yet, you tend to avoid shooting yourself in the foot financially.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 05:37:54 AM »

Zero has a guy named Dr. No working for them.  Whenever I email him I get a "No" if any response at all.   I guess that means they're becoming successful and I'm lucky to even get a response. ;)  The good news is I live near their factory. ;D
2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 11:22:19 AM »

Haha Ed! What kind of questions do you ask? Do you "know" Dr. "No's" first name?  :)

And Spires I can see how you might feel frustrated.  But undercutting a local dealer by shipping directly would not be a reputation they want.  Also it's just the right thing to do.

And manufacturers just don't talk to anyone about next years models before the official release.  It would just hurt sales of the 2012 models.  I remember hearing a few months ago, just after the Empulse release that Zero was preparing an "Empulse Killer" for 2013.  Although I think that was to try to give potential Empulse customers something else to consider so they wait.   So if that is true, you can pretty much guarantee the 2013 will be faster. 

But if it was me I'd still buy the 2012. It's plenty fast, you can ride every day for the next 6 months (that's a long time! we don't live forever you know) and you can always sell the 2012 later for an acceptable loss based on the gasoline you saved and enjoyment you had and buy a 2013 if they really are that much better.  Ahh but I just remembered you already have a 2011, so you're already riding electric I guess.  Kind of like with phones I usually upgrade every other new model or every 2 years.  Tough choice, you'll have to decide that one for yourself. 

Just don't take it personally or have any hard feelings towards Zero.  They are making great bikes and doing the right thing!
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 07:03:36 AM »

Haha Ed! What kind of questions do you ask? Do you "know" Dr. "No's" first name?  

It's been a while but I'll look.  I know I got emails from a couple others and they have been great.     :)

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:38:58 AM by ed5000 »
2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 09:26:21 AM »

I waited two years+ for my 2010 DS, however, when I saw the specs on the 2012 DS I bought one. My wife said; "you know they will just keep getting better why not wait for several more years. MY reply was; "hey, I'm 77, how many more years can I wait before riding an improved e-bike"? I'm having a ball with the 2012 DS and the 2010 DS sits (plugged in of course). I never looked back!

I agree with all who said that ZERO has to develop a good dealer network and they can't sell directly anymore. I was somewhat bummed when that change took place because I was used to going direct, but it is how things need to be if the company is to grow. It's unfortunate that all of ZERO's customers can't have knowledgeable dealers. I'm fortunate to have one - but if they would just move to Orange County I'd be a "happier camper". ;D 55 miles takes 1 1/2 hours, West Hollywood traffic sucks!

Trikester

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2012, 02:32:24 PM »

As a European, and as Richard pointed out -I'm trying to catch up with Richard motorbikes collection ;) - I never got a call from a bike manufacturer,  naming Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha, KTM...the bike manufacturers are trying to "copy" the far more commercial/better approach you guys have in the US...they have a long way to go >:(

A few years ago I stated up a business. I was a "one men show" so every customer was dealing with me...as time went by the business developed, and I could not do that anymore...Bad thing? some customers were very upset with me, no question -like you with Zero- and I understand perfectly your feelings, but that's the way it works...If Zero does not follow the natural distribution evolving path they will be out of business and yours/my bike will have no support and will be worth nothing...

A dealer should be someone helpful, kind, supportive, and make money with the brands they represent (I have heard some very good examples in this forum, and in my case in Spain they were very nice)...if that's not the case Zero should replace it or address you to another one.
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

Spires

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »

I may have sounded a little harsh, with my posting here, but it is okay for one to admit that they are bummed that along with the growth of the Electric motorcycle company, the great "Zero to customer" service they afforded was going away.. It's their fault by spoiling me haha.. By no means am I disappointed with Zero at all, and I will be buying another bike. I had a look at the newer KTM's yesterday just to see what's up with the new stuff and Donna (my chick) asked "Why are you looking at these things?! they are noisey, stinky, obnoxious bikes and we can't chat while we ride!" Pretty funny from a girl's point of view hah..

Spires

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 08:46:17 PM »

Maybe it would have been more accurate to point out that I did not like the sacrifice a small company may be forced to do when they expand?
Pages: [1] 2