• April 25, 2024, 05:54:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Daily commute on your Zero?  (Read 1701 times)

CliC

• View Profile
Daily commute on your Zero?
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:30:09 AM »

Hi all,

I'm looking at changing jobs, and evaluating my commute and where to live as part of the process (with the intent of being able to ride the Zero to work).

I currently live in a relatively small town and ride about 5 miles to work on 50 mph roads with a few traffic lights. Where I would likely end up working is the 4th largest city in the US (Houston), and if I take the job I'd eventually try to move to a location where my commute would involve largely uninterrupted highway at 70-75 mph, duking it out with a variety of other vehicles. I'd try to get within 30 miles if I can charge at work, 15-20 if not. I'm unlikely to live within 5 or 10 miles, as the office is located in a largely industrial area.

I've gone that fast for that long on my 2012 DS a couple of times, and it was manageable. But that's not the same as doing it 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year. So I was wondering if anyone made a similar commute on their Zeros, and what they thought about it. The Zero is certainly capable of going that fast for that long. But it's lightweight & susceptible to wind gusts (natural and man-made), doesn't have loud pipes, etc. etc.

P.S the thought of riding my e-bike to work in Oiltown USA does make me laugh :)
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Daily commute on your Zero?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 03:17:22 AM »

What, they don't have any traffic jams in Houston during commute hours?  Around here, you are lucky to be able to hit 50 mph during the morning commute on the Bayshore Freeway and when summer is over and the kids are back in school a lot of travel by motorcycles is performed by traveling between rows of stopped cars waiting for another accident to clear up ahead.   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

rotoiti

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 04:10:29 AM »

I am riding my DS ZF9 to work fairly regularly. It is 27.7 mile (one way) commute, with about 26.5 miles on highway 101 (Bayshore Fwy). Contrary to what Richard230 is saying I find Bayshore mostly moving at 70-75 mph in long stretches, at least during my morning commute. Afternoon commute, 101 is congested near the airport so I usually take I-280 which moves quickly (65+ mph).

- wind gusts, yes, I do feel them but they are not that dangerous when you're expecting them. There is a stretch of hwy I-280 near Skyline where the highway crests over a hill. I usually get a pretty strong crosswind there. It took me by surprise the first time but I was expecting it subsequently and it was definitely manageable.

- overheating may be the factor; DS isn't rated for continuous speed over 70 mph. I sometimes follow traffic and don't pay attention to the speedometer. I managed to overheat the motor three times already. I wish I purchased S but oh well :) I might look into switching the sprocket and the belt for S model ones.

- get a windshield, it makes a world of difference for me.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 04:13:07 AM by rotoiti »
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:10:31 AM »

What, they don't have any traffic jams in Houston during commute hours?  Around here, you are lucky to be able to hit 50 mph during the morning commute on the Bayshore Freeway and when summer is over and the kids are back in school a lot of travel by motorcycles is performed by traveling between rows of stopped cars waiting for another accident to clear up ahead.   ::)

Oh yeah, they do, but if you take the right roads and ride at the right time it moves pretty well. That, and I was thinking worst-case, at least as far as a 340-lb electric motorcycle goes.

And being able to lane-split would be great at times. The AMA state-by-state motorcycle laws page doesn't say that it's actually prohibited in Texas, but drivers certainly wouldn't expect it, so the likelihood of running into an F250 driver's door opened to expel some pre-owned snuff is definitely non-zero.
Ride log

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:16:17 AM »

I am riding my DS ZF9 to work fairly regularly. It is 27.7 mile (one way) commute, with about 26.5 miles on highway 101 (Bayshore Fwy). Contrary to what Richard230 is saying I find Bayshore mostly moving at 70-75 mph in long stretches, at least during my morning commute. Afternoon commute, 101 is congested near the airport so I usually take I-280 which moves quickly (65+ mph).

- wind gusts, yes, I do feel them but they are not that dangerous when you're expecting them. There is a stretch of hwy I-280 near Skyline where the highway crests over a hill. I usually get a pretty strong crosswind there. It took me by surprise the first time but I was expecting it subsequently and it was definitely manageable.

- overheating may be the factor; DS isn't rated for continuous speed over 70 mph. I sometimes follow traffic and don't pay attention to the speedometer. I managed to overheat the motor three times already. I wish I purchased S but oh well :) I might look into switching the sprocket and the belt for S model ones.

- get a windshield, it makes a world of difference for me.

Thanks for the feedback. I do have a windshield already, but was waiting until winter to install it. I like the 50 mph breeze I get now, but I would probably take your advice if going more like 70.

I didn't think about the overheating though. I wonder if modifying or replacing the right-side lower bodywork to get some ram air to the motor would help? Sitting behind the battery pack as it does, I suspect it's in a bit of a calm, low-pressure zone at speed that perhaps the fan cannot overcome.
Ride log

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 12:20:32 PM »

Sorry Clic for interfering the subject ::)

Hi rotoiti was it you getting feedback that the DS needs a different belt if going for the 28 sprocket. Was this information from Zero or your Dealer?

I am playing with the same idea.

Do you think we have to remove the swing arm?

I am not sure but moving the motor seems to give free a gap for the belt to remove.

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: Re: Re: Daily commute on your Zero?
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 01:37:21 PM »

Hi rotoiti was it you getting feedback that the DS needs a different belt if going for the 28 sprocket. Was this information from Zero or your Dealer?

I am playing with the same idea.

You do not need to change the belt. The same one will work for both size sprockets.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »

Don't worry about it. This may be pertinent to me as well :)

Do you think we have to remove the swing arm?

I am not sure but moving the motor seems to give free a gap for the belt to remove.
If you remove the belt, you have to remove the swingarm, due to the belt's looping around the swingarm crossbrace tube in front of the rear wheel. If you don't have to remove the belt, as Harlan said, then no problem.

If someone does this sprocket swap, I'd be interested to hear the effects it has on acceleration (in addition to whether it cures the overheating issue). The S models I test rode didn't seem any slower off the line than my DS, but they may have different rear sprocket sizes or rear wheel/tire outer diameter.

In the long run though I still think I'd want to investigate getting more airflow to the motor first. It's kinda sucking wind behind that big square battery box at higher speeds.
Ride log

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 06:18:12 AM »

Houston eh?  :-\
My sister lives in Spring (North Houston); her hubby occasionally commutes (ICE motorcycle) down to the 610 loop (north side).  They used to live in Dallas (Grapevine).  He complains about the heat and traffic.  (Like Dallas is "cool"! Ha!).  He says the drivers are way worse in Houston than in most places.
My experience with Houston is a Phosgene plant in southeast Houston.  Don't live anywhere neat LaPorte if you can help it.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 06:49:45 AM »

Say, wasn't phosgene used as a poison gas during WWI?   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 08:37:16 AM »

Dallas is probably hotter, but Houston's humidity is higher. They can be equally miserable. Drivers are pretty bad, though I'd put the ones in Louisiana (where I used to live) up against those anywhere else (in the US at least).

I'm not planning to live in the Laporte/Texas City area. The office is near the Houston Ship Channel (another industrial/petrochemical area, like Laporte). I'm not wanting to live too close to there, either, hence the commute.

I wouldn't be surprised if phosgene was used as a chemical weapon in WW1. It's quite lethal. But it's also an intermediate in the manufacture of polyurethanes, among other things, so it's not all that uncommon.
Ride log

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 06:58:34 PM »

Yes, Phosgene was used in WWI.  Colorless, Oderless.  When I visited the plant, I was given a badge and a KKK-hood-air-bottle setup.   If the badge turned color; I had 30 seconds to get the hood on and the air flowing.  The air would last 5 minutes;  they had all these wind socks around the plant - you had to get upwind of the leak within that time.  Can't imagine working there as a career.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2012, 07:48:37 AM »

For six months I commuted 25 miles (20 on the freeway), each way, to work. I rode at "freeway speeds", usually around 70 MPH. Although I could've made it round trip on a charge, my employer allowed me to charge at work so I usually topped off the batteries for the ride home. I never had any problems on the freeway and lane-splitting is easy with the narrow profile of the Zero. I have a windshield which makes the ride a bit more comfy.
My job recently changed to a local commute (no freeway riding), but I must admit - despite preferring a local vs. long commute - I miss the daily 1/2 hour EV ride  ;)
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Pages: [1]