• March 29, 2024, 10:53:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero S - kickstand touches ground on left tourns  (Read 2035 times)

baumisch

• EV - EREV - PEDELEC Driver
    • View Profile
Zero S - kickstand touches ground on left tourns
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:20:01 PM »

Hi,
I have 600km on my new 2012 S ZF9 now and already had the side kickstand scratch the road 2 times on left turns. It's really a bad sound and a very worried feeling ...

Is this common problem or am I riding kinda strange?

Chris
2011 GreenMover  MTB - 0,25 KW - 0,3 kwH - 27+ km/h - 2.100km
2012 Zero S ZF9 - 9 KW - 9kwH - 140 km/h - 6.200km
2013 Opel Ampera - 111 KW - 16/10 kwH - 160km/h - 55.500km
2015 Tesla Model S P85 - 306 KW - 85 kwH - 210km/h

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Re: Zero S - kickstand touches ground on left tourns
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:44:40 PM »

Hallo Chris

I recall ElectricCowboy having similar issues - when racing it hard !

So it might be racing or your riding style. Guess if our local Casey Stoner gets on the Zero he would scratch it a lot. On my part -- not at all and I get most of the tyres worn out ...

check the pictures of people on the racetrack and see how they ride it. For fast cornering they hang usually quite to the site so the bike does not drop to low.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »

The kickstand or the foot pegs can definitely touch if you take a turn pretty hard. The bikes that race in the TTXGP remove the kickstands.

Adopt a racing lean on aggressive turns, turn less aggressively, or grind the kickstand down and then maybe Zero will have a higher-mounted kickstand by then.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 07:13:40 PM »

The kickstand will grind in 3 places after you wear the corner of the foot off.  One of those places is near the pivot point.  If you are going to carry more weight than average (how much do you weigh, or do you carry a passenger when this happens?) definitely increase the preload to the forks and rear shock.  This will help prevent sag and increase ground clearance when taking fast corners.
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:57:06 PM »

Chris, Yes, that is a design problem...either you:

1. Forget you would like to be Stoner, Pedrosa, Lorenzo, Rossi, etc...for a while
2. Change the suspension settings -which will also change the bike behaviour-
3. Remove the kickstand
4. Loose weight

No more options ;D I do not like any of the options!!!

Now seriously, I would think Zero will change the design for 2013
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:33:10 PM »

I scraped my kickstand yesterday while making an off-camber tight uphill turn.  It might help to lean your body more to the left in order to keep the bike more upright when negotiating a sharp left (or right for that matter) turn.  You could remove the side stand and grind down the mount, then install an bolt-on aftermarket side stand.  They used to be sold for the old air-head BMW models that had lousy side stands, but I don't know if these stands are still being marketed.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

baumisch

• EV - EREV - PEDELEC Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »

Hey guys,

thanks for the lots of feedback,
I watched a few races and saw what you mean.

I would prefer to get another stand mounted some time so ...

If anybody did mount another kickstand I would love to see photos,
will ask my dealer when I bring my machine in for the recall of brake
sensor thing everybody of us got contacted for ...

let's see what my dealer thinks ..

chris
2011 GreenMover  MTB - 0,25 KW - 0,3 kwH - 27+ km/h - 2.100km
2012 Zero S ZF9 - 9 KW - 9kwH - 140 km/h - 6.200km
2013 Opel Ampera - 111 KW - 16/10 kwH - 160km/h - 55.500km
2015 Tesla Model S P85 - 306 KW - 85 kwH - 210km/h

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 08:16:34 PM »

I think this has more potential for a crash than the brake light issue, maybe you all need to complain to dealer, zero and the road safety body that does recalls.
I am sure it would not be deemed safe for part of the bike to scrape the road and upset steering and handling.
At least do warranty claims on scratched kick stands, so zero knows how many have issue.

This does not usually happen with other bikes, the footpegs may scrape and usually have an extra bit hanging below to let you know when you are at an extreme lean.
But the foot pegs also pivot up to so not to upset the handling of the bike.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 08:22:39 PM by firepower »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 08:39:58 PM »

When it comes to scraping stuff going around corners, the Zero doesn't hold a candle to most cruisers, especially Harleys.  I rode my brother's Sport Glide with upgraded "performance" suspension years ago and the first corner I came to I scraped his clutch case severely.  It scared the heck out of me. I brought the bike back and said it just didn't lean far enough for me.  I don't see any Harleys or Harley clones being recalled because they can't corner without grinding away parts. So I guess the owners just get used to living within the bike's performance envelope.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 01:31:22 AM »

When it comes to scraping stuff going around corners, the Zero doesn't hold a candle to most cruisers, especially Harleys.  I rode my brother's Sport Glide with upgraded "performance" suspension years ago and the first corner I came to I scraped his clutch case severely.  It scared the heck out of me. I brought the bike back and said it just didn't lean far enough for me.  I don't see any Harleys or Harley clones being recalled because they can't corner without grinding away parts. So I guess the owners just get used to living within the bike's performance envelope.

Ha, that thing must've been really low. I pretty routinely scraped the floorboards on my Road King, but they were spring-hinged to fold up when that happened. I don't think I was even at 45 degrees over when that happened. But then again I also tended to wind out the motor in each gear, whereas a lot of Harley riders I see short shift theirs (that _can't _ be good for the motor ::) ). I don't think I was ever a "typical" Harley rider :).

I never scraped the primary drive/clutch or transmission cases, though they do stick out pretty far, or the exhaust on the right side. Maybe the floorboards protected all that :)
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 01:08:57 PM »

Dont forget to feel the road with your knee... you have to get it out there though.

Yep I lost weight, got help with my suspension from a suspension god, and hang wayyyyy the hell off the bike to prevent scraping, but it still happens some times, so I just take it off if I am getting that aggressive on the track.

make sure if you take it off, you either short the kickstand switch, OR you put a strong magnet on the sensor. Once you do this, you will start to gringd the peg on the left side.

Other points I grind :
The foot break
the lower fairings
pegs
my boots

This pic shows well a 2011 while not dragging.

This demonstrates my lean :

What happens after you take off the kickstand & fairings on a 2012?

Pages: [1]