• March 29, 2024, 04:27:23 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Running costs  (Read 1315 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Running costs
« on: July 09, 2012, 06:48:55 AM »

Yesterday I took my BMW R1200R to my dealer for its 24K servicing, plus a brake fluid change for the ABS system.  The total cost for this service was $850.  It costs me about 2 cents a mile in electrical power to ride my Zero.  So it looks like I could have ridden my Zero S over 40,000 miles for the cost of just one major service for my IC BMW.  If you ask me, I think Zero should emphasize this aspect of riding an EV, compared with an IC vehicle.  Between the cost of gasoline and periodic servicing, it looks to me like you can save a whole lot of money when you ride electric. All you have to do is to be able to afford the initial price and be willing to ride within its capabilities. You will come out ahead of the game in the long run when owning an electric motorcycle.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

CliC

• View Profile
Re: Re: Running costs
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:27:23 PM »

Zero does note this in their sales literature, but maybe doesn't emphasize it enough. It was a factor in my buying decision.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

ed5000

• View Profile
Re: Running costs
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 10:28:53 PM »

I get about 125 Wh/mile for my 16 mile commute to work and at 12.5 cents per kwh, it costs me 25 cents one way.  The return trip is free since I charge at work :^).  My wh/mile might be higher than some of you because I have some steep hills and a fast stretch of freeway on the way to work. Still, that  beats my $3 per day I spent on gas in my Prius and I have a whole lot more fun! Gas has been a solid $4.30 a gallon here all year until just this month where I've seen as low as $3.78 but now gas is going back up anyway.

I should mention my savings is actually higher because my wife has quietly slipped out of her thirsty suv and into my Prius (a car she says she hates) but I don't dare say thing.  She'll go back to the suv quick!
2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 04:39:06 AM »

About 50% why i changed from my Harley to the zero. Running cost, savings on services and a lot of the short rides not good for the Harley/ Any IC bike.
Plus now lots of fun riding.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:15:49 PM »

Here is a total cost over 10 years comparison including purchase cost, fuel & insurance (residual valuebased on market price for ICE vehicules, estimate for Zero) : full advantage for Zero.

http://juliette.nfrance.com/~ju16656/Perso/files/Comparaison_vehicules.png

(items are : vehicule name, power, max speed, torque, weight, passenger possibility, kind of driving licence needed in France, "fun factor", autonomy, residual value, service cost, fuel, insurance, total cost - all in euros)

What is missing for exceptionnal repairs, ie cost of parts & service in case of problems not covered by the insurance. This is probably where Zero should improve itself - starting with using standart parts (for example, using Honda compatible wing mirrors to ensure zero users can have quick & cheap access to replacement parts).

Pages: [1]