• March 28, 2024, 09:59:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: conversion LED headlight - another challenge for Australia ....  (Read 1334 times)

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support

Had a good conversation with ebay seller of trucklite phase 7 LED headlight, was about to hit the buy it now button and get very honest reply below:

EDIT: and here is the right quote !!! before we hackled about the high shipping cost to Oz.... and I pasted to fast...

Dear manlytom,

If you are intending to use these in Australia - here is what the manufacturer has told us.

John, here's what our compliance guy has come back with;

As of now it is not approved in Australia because it is a symmetrical beam and LED.
If it was an old 7" Round Sealed beam it would be OK.
Two years ago it would have been OK, but Australia has introduced new rules for LED Headlamps.

John

- smiles2474u

weird however as the 2011S has for sure quite a symmetrical beam anyway ... so might convert no matter what.... for the australians here -- can you point me to the regulations / NSW regulations or so... thx.

so why is our "little" island trying to be so different ....
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:32:56 PM by manlytom »
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: conversion LED headlight - another challenge for Australia ....
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 08:27:07 PM »

I just read a road test of the new Ducati Panigale S (the super deluxe version) in Motorcyclist magazine. It comes with a LED headlight and I was surprised to read that that headlight adds 6 pounds to the weight of the bike.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Re: conversion LED headlight - another challenge for Australia ....
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 06:49:50 PM »

so far all LEDs I put on have saved me loads of weight. indicators, tail lights... and the trucklite headlight looks as to replace the glass front and is likely to be similar or less weight.

interesting that Ducati gains so much, they might have gone different to the trucklite models...
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto
Pages: [1]