• March 29, 2024, 02:31:59 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero DS 2012 Loss of Power  (Read 1839 times)

BSDThw

• View Profile
Zero DS 2012 Loss of Power
« on: June 23, 2012, 02:46:44 PM »

yesterday, I did a trip with my DS ZF9 it was a bit hilly but not really steep. I could feel that my Zero didn't pull really strong but up hill it is not easy to estimate.

Finally I came to the normal flat road but I couldn't persuade the bike to go over 80Km/h (49,7MPH).
There was now indication at the dash for over heating …

When I arrived the next village I had to ride an up hill part.
My Zero completely lost power.
So I could open the throttle full and walked next to my bike.

I stopped and let it could down, even if it didn't feel hot. The heat-sink of the controller was only hand-hot also the motor and still no overheating sign ???.

The good thing I have a friend in this village and started back to him (down hill).
I was invited for dinner and when I rode home my bike run but felt a bit weak.

I recharged it but today it still feels like it lost half of the power.
It is not in ECO mode, If I switch to ECO I feel the additionally power drop and the regn.

I watched for all self-test indications BMS / Dash but there is now fault.

Somebody with same experience?

I think I have to contact my dealer. What a pity  :'( I ride my bike now for only two and a half week (700Km / 430 miles).

EDIT:
Battery SOC => I had 5 of 11 bars left
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:28:48 PM by BSDThw »
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Zero DS 2012 Loss of Power
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 08:33:21 PM »

Just to eliminate a mechanical problem, raise each wheel off of the ground and give them a spin to make sure that something, like the brakes or bearings, are not binding and causing the wheel to drag. This is unlikely to be your problem, but it doesn't hurt to make sure that it is a drive train issue and not a chassis problem.

I wonder if the charger has become disconnected from the power pack and is not recharging the battery properly?  You didn't mention what the "fuel" gauge was indicating. It sure sounds like the bike's battery was discharged and you were operating on the "walk it home" program.  In any case, it does sound like a problem for your dealer to resolve. I hope he is up to the task.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:27:03 PM »

Thanks Richard,

the wheels are spinning free, and I forgot to mention the SOC I will edit it.

I had 5 of 11 bars left, so there was no need for the "walk it home"(;D I like this term) program.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 11:43:13 AM »

Maybe the same throttle glitch some of us have experienced .. or a variant? Did you try turning the bike off / back on?

When you lost power, did it go from "low" (where you had trouble keeping 80 km/h) to zero in an instant or did it take several seconds?

Have you been seeing the expected range on the bike, power issues aside?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:09:43 AM »

Hi protomech

I think it's not like the throttle glitch. I turned it on/off.

I didn't lost power to zero. The road I couldn’t go over 80km/h was 5 km than I reached a village and at the end of the village there is a up-hill part. There the power was as low that I stopped because I was afraid to damage the bike.

The strange thing I tested the bike next morning it runs but not powerful like normal, next day I could return the bike to the person who repairs my bike and there it was nearly dead. You could hear the motor but it was not possible to pull forward. (Battery SCO 100%, no faults at BMS and Dash-LEDs).

I am really curious what the problem is. (maybe the throttle is dismantling)

I rode the bike in the rain several times but if I couldn't do so its not a bike for Germany.

My DS is #88 and if you have a S #96 I believe my BMS is even not coated like your first board.

Have you been seeing the expected range on the bike, power issues aside?

sorry I didn't understand the question, excuse my lack of English.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 12:39:19 AM »

Pardon.

Does the bike seem to achieve roughly the promised range in your riding? For example, 100 miles / 160 km at 35-40 mph / 56-64 kph, 60 miles / 96 km at 50-55 mph / 80-88 kph, etc?

If you haven't contacted a Zero customer service rep, I would encourage you to do so.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 12:56:26 AM »

I am sorry for not understanding the basic.

I rode the bike only for 18 day :'( and most time to the office or shopping. I could normally recharge when the SOC was 50-40%.

But I my feelings tell my the possible range would be OK. 100Km I guess will be possible. But I don't save energy I cannot resist the acceleration of an e-motor ;D

The person who service the e-bikes lives 20km away. The Dealers office is 80Km away. So I have the nice advantage to save 2* 60Km and could even return the bike on Sunday.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 01:53:39 AM »

Okay. I was curious if perhaps only 1 or 2 of the 3 ZF3 modules inside the ZF9 pack was operational. Could definitely cause power loss .. 5C discharge from 2.6 kWh pack is probably about 10 kW delivered to the rear wheel. But if you're getting reasonable range then I'm sure all 3 packs are present and accounted for.

That leaves something going wrong between the motor and the motor controller. Definitely your bike is not behaving properly, and Zero will (and should) fix it.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2012, 01:49:02 AM »

:D ;D :D ;D

Back on the road

The power loss of the DS was a defect Throttle.

I am so happy that the problem could be solved so fast. I have to say that Marc and Ralf from Solarwerkstatt in Tettnang did a great job very helpful and fast. Also the Zero Motorcycles European Office in Netherlands did a great job to make the correct diagnosis at first sight and deliver the throttle so fast.

Thumbs up! for the hole team. It pays well that I bought my Zero from the Solarwerkstatt.

I rode my bike home and when I arrived my house I had a 3/4 full battery. The weather was great and I took off again for a nice trip in the surrounding area with a gorgeous sunset.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 02:10:50 AM »

Glad you got it resolved.. will add this to the list of known issues with workarounds : )

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 04:29:28 AM »

Yes great support. Gets challenging when a ICE mechanic has to change motor though   Rahter do it myself.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto
Pages: [1]