• April 28, 2024, 10:24:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Idea for a solar charger for electric motorcycles. And few questions.  (Read 6595 times)

lowriderzzz

• View Profile

So I live near the beach and summer time I go there with my motorcycle and I was thinking what could it be done so while i enjoy my time the bike to recharges it self (note there is no charging spot nearby). So I came with the idea of some sort of rolling in and out solar charger, so when you park the bike you roll the charger out and the sun does the rest charging job.

Here are some pictures of my scooter ( i used a diesel one just to take the shots). It is just a concept and I used an old carpet just to put the idea out.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69716062@N05/7419313210/#in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69716062@N05/7419313464/#in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69716062@N05/7419312002/#in/photostream/

My questions are. 1st - what do you think of the idea? And 2nd can you think of some appropriate roll up chargers on the market that can do the job. And is it going o be efficient that way with that are of the charger. How much time do you think it will take to recharge an average Electric bike battery?

Basically you will have to roll it out when you stop somewhere. Then roll it in and attach it on the bike somehow and drive away.
 Here is ''somehow mounted to the bike"

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69716062@N05/7419375968/#in/photostream

So i'm waiting opinions, insights and constructive critique.

Thanks

frodus

• View Profile

it'll take days to recharge with a solar panel that size. They're not very energy dense.

It's a good idea, but you'll need a much larger area to generate anything reasonable to recharge.
Travis

lowriderzzz

• View Profile

it'll take days to recharge with a solar panel that size. They're not very energy dense.

It's a good idea, but you'll need a much larger area to generate anything reasonable to recharge.

do you think so - i haven't done any calculations yet. I just wondered if it will be liked by most people.

thanks for your point

frodus

• View Profile

Solar panels require a large surface area. To get a decent amount of wattage, you're going to need a larger area. How large is your charger for the scooter? Go look at how large a 40-50W solar panel is.

So let say your charger is 500W on a small scooter with a 2kwh battery. That'll take 4 hours to fully charge, or right about there. Now, 500W, is 10 50W panels, which is going to take up much more space than that carpet. Imagine a large living room rug, not an entry rug.

I do like the idea, but the design must pass scrutiny on the electrical feasability first.
Travis

lowriderzzz

• View Profile

I do like the idea, but the design must pass scrutiny on the electrical feasability first.

or maybe it will have to wait for the future when solar panels efficiency improves.

frodus

• View Profile

probably won't happen for a while, it's not they they're that inefficient, it's that they're thin and you need a large surface area, not volume. They're energy dense for their volume, but they take up a wide area because they're so thin.

Maybe you could get a 100W panel and a 100W charger and do that, at least it helps.

Have you looked at costs for flexible solar cells?
Travis

lowriderzzz

• View Profile

probably won't happen for a while, it's not they they're that inefficient, it's that they're thin and you need a large surface area, not volume. They're energy dense for their volume, but they take up a wide area because they're so thin.

Maybe you could get a 100W panel and a 100W charger and do that, at least it helps.

Have you looked at costs for flexible solar cells?

yea will have to.

by the way do you know something about this : http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aqng5GKGH9Es8FlkeWl7Fbjty6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20120626100634AASYYLW

I posted the question

will post it here as a thread too.

frodus

• View Profile

search for hubmotor, not wheel motor.

kelly sells them.

the problem with those, is that you'll have to fabricate a new rear arm for most scooters.
Travis

lowriderzzz

• View Profile

search for hubmotor, not wheel motor.

kelly sells them.

the problem with those, is that you'll have to fabricate a new rear arm for most scooters.

im kind of newbie on the maintenance part is that a major problem (to fabricate a new rear arm )

and who is kelly - is there a website.

thanks

frodus

• View Profile
Travis

lowriderzzz

• View Profile

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kelly+hub+motor

thanks for the link

by the way - see this guy has added solar panels for his electric scooter. It probably does work - however his are solid ones (not rollable) perhaps they generate more power.

frodus

• View Profile

which guy? This one?
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/PV/pvscooter.htm

His is a 120W solar array and he drives 5 miles to work on a scooter that likely uses less than 100Wh/mile. He could easily charge that 500W he used in 5 hours while at work with the right converter (solar cell voltage fluctuates, so you have to take that input and boost to pack voltage). It's also 48V and uses a C-40 charge controller to go from solar cell to the 48VDC pack.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 11:48:22 PM by frodus »
Travis

lowriderzzz

• View Profile

frodus

• View Profile

I did google, that's how I found it.

It's the same guy, 120W and they take up a lot of space. Don't expect your roll up solar cells to be more efficient or smaller, and they definitely will not be cheaper.

It's better to get a ton of solar cells and put them on your roof/yard and offset the electricity you're using, than it is to carry around a bunch of solar cells and try to charge a vehicle. It's more weight, it's going to effect your aerodynamics which will use more energy.
Travis

lowriderzzz

• View Profile

It's better to get a ton of solar cells and put them on your roof/yard and offset the electricity you're using, than it is to carry around a bunch of solar cells and try to charge a vehicle. It's more weight, it's going to effect your aerodynamics which will use more energy.
yes you have a point on that. But the main idea was to have a vehicle being able to recharge on its own. Independent from any grids and outlets. However it seems like the price is not worth the extra. 
Pages: [1] 2