• March 29, 2024, 08:25:29 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need Help understanding a 2011 Zero S please.  (Read 2705 times)

950ash

• View Profile
Need Help understanding a 2011 Zero S please.
« on: June 18, 2012, 02:45:07 AM »

My wife just bought one and the range she is getting is an average of 16miles until the battery guage up at the Instrument panel is flashing no bars. She and I have tryed a bunch of throttle practices but still the same result. Is this normal? Is there something we can do?

dkw12002

• View Profile
Re: Need Help understanding a 2011 Zero S please.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 03:08:21 AM »

Something's wrong. The first thing to try is placing the bike on the charger for 72 hours. Although it takes only 4 hours or so to completely charge it from empty, the additional time is to balance the cells. Then try it again. Of course the gauge should read fully charged (11 bars) before you start. The only thing that might use up 11 bars in 16 miles in a normally operating bike would be going wide open throttle...65-70 mph the whole time.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 07:29:36 AM »

Out of curiosity, I took my 2011 S for a ride this evening and went 16 miles. About a third of that was at 50-60 mph and the rest was regular city traffic up to 40 mph, but mostly 30 mph, stop and go. I arrived home at one bar under the half-way mark. In other words, I had used 6 and had 4-5 bars to go. I should be able to go 30 miles riding at these speeds, with the last two bars starting to flash at about 25 miles. I weigh about 200 lbs. and ride pretty hard, so a range of 16 miles for you sounds off by quite a bit.

950ash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 08:09:15 AM »

ok after she takes it to work tomorrow we will let it sit charging for 72 hours then. She drives only 5 miles and must show it off.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 08:57:29 AM »

If that doesn't work, it is Possible that she has a bad cell, I use less energy than that riding track, also just FYI for when your issue is fixed, you still have a long way to go on two flashing bars before the bike cuts out, depending on how much your wife weighs, it could be anywhere from 5 to 12 miles on a healthy battery going pretty good on the highway. I have babied 2 flashing bars for 20 miles before, 4 miles with no bars.

After charging for 72 hours, take a look at the LEDs on the side of the charger while still plugged in, you should see one orange, and one green. You should actually see this after 4 hours, however, if the cells need to balance, you may see two orange leds. If you have one orange, and one red, you will need a new battery, or atleast a repair, which should be covered under zero warantee.

950ash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »

Well the 2 bar flashing only lasts for a minute because your down to no bars in no time. I was wondering what the charger was showing too last night after she rides it. Will look when she get home.

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 11:24:48 AM »

I drive 16 miles to work with about 12 of that on the freeway   I usually get the "flashing no bar" treatment near the end of my freeway trip. I then drive 2 miles in the city where I get back 4 bars.  When I park I have 1/2 tank or one  bar above that.  Then when I recharge it and it only takes 2 kwh to charge a 4 kwh battery.
Another time I drove it about 30 miles and the fuel gauge started flashing 10 miles from home.  I thought for sure I was walking 5 miles or more but the bike kept  beeping and got me home at a reduced speed (about 25mph). :)
I was also told that when the bike is new the battery management system will allow you less miles until the bike has been "broke in" or after a number of charge cycles.
2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 11:29:44 AM »

I have done recently 20 miles and went down to flashing two bars, and then back stable at 3 bars left. No highway but several uphills that I took swiftly. however, I am as well concerned of the 2011 range -- we need to watch that battery it seems !
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

950ash

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 03:24:56 AM »

OK left on the charger for 72hours and only got 20 miles until all bars on the gauge were gone. Plugged it in and the charger guage went up to the second from the top. doesnt that mean it is mostly charged? Could it be that the instrument gauge is off that much?

Rewski

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 09:40:14 AM »

Have you made a call to Zero service?

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:08:04 AM »

OK left on the charger for 72hours and only got 20 miles until all bars on the gauge were gone. Plugged it in and the charger guage went up to the second from the top. doesnt that mean it is mostly charged? Could it be that the instrument gauge is off that much?

If I'm understanding you correctly, the light second from the top means that it is dumping charge into the battery at a very high rate, meaning the charger knows the battery is fully discharged.

Keep the bike on the charger until the charger shows a green light.  If it takes longer than a couple of days, it wouldn't hurt to take your bike to the nearest dealer to pull the BMS data.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

950ash

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 05:17:37 AM »

If I'm understanding you correctly, the light second from the top means that it is dumping charge into the battery at a very high rate, meaning the charger knows the battery is fully discharged.

Keep the bike on the charger until the charger shows a green light.  If it takes longer than a couple of days, it wouldn't hurt to take your bike to the nearest dealer to pull the BMS data.

Ha so yes I get what you mean, the more lights the more current. So last night I decided to try the bike myself and see how long the bike would last. At 13 miles all the instrument charge bars were gone and at 29 miles the bike was still going strong but it was getting too cold and my butt was numb. Is the guage that off?

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 04:41:31 PM »

now that is interesting. I might try that and just keep going even if the gauge goes beserk at me. With 50km at "zero" bars on a slowish ride seems not enough that a 2011 should deliver.
check if your dealer can download / analyse details or email Zero servie.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »

How fast were you going? There's a small amount of reserve in the 2012 bikes (900 Wh, good for around 8 miles @ 50 mph or 20 miles @ 20 mph) when the instrument cluster shows 0 bars remaining.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

950ash

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »

Yesterday we ran it until it stopped us, all bars were gone at 20miles and the bike stopped at 40miles.
Pages: [1] 2