• May 02, 2024, 03:20:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Front fork bleed screws?  (Read 3215 times)

Larry295

• View Profile
Front fork bleed screws?
« on: June 15, 2012, 09:42:49 PM »

What the hell is that?
If I understand correctly, you need to open the screws, apply pressure to the front fork, close the screws. Then release pressure and re-open the screws, then close again!?
I've has a few motorcycles, even mountain bikes, but never had to go through such a procedure?!
What happens if you simply ignore the whole thing?
I really have a hard time understanding why they installed such a fork on this bike?

CliC

• View Profile
Re: Front fork bleed screws?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 10:52:34 PM »

it's the norm for dirt bikes from what I read. The manual only recommends loosening them when you transport the bike.

I do that, then when I'm at my destination I jack the bike up (fully extend the front forks) and retighten them. A couple of times since I've repeated the procedure to see if any additional pressure built up, but there was none.

This may or may not be the best way, but it's what I got from the reading I did.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

Larry295

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 10:59:57 PM »

I am not too sure how that works.
So you lift the bike, open the screws and re tighten them? and that's it?
How do you know if you did anything? Are you supposed to listen to the air coming out, or...?

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 05:33:59 AM »

The manual only recommends loosening them when you transport the bike.
Actually (the 2012 manual at least) recommends "after each ride" :o

1. Bleed Screw - The 3 mm Allen M5 screw (A) at the top of the fork leg is the “bleed” screw. The
bleed screw serves two purposes:
• Transporting your motorcycle. See Transportingon page 1-13.
• Bleeding the fork: Bleed the fork regularly, let any access air out after each ride

I have done this once, at 1200 miles.  When I did it, a little air came out of the right fork; couldn't tell about the left.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 05:46:41 AM »

Apparently, some air pressure in the forks is desireable, as this is used to augment the springs.  But there can be gas pressure buildup beyond nominal that can compromise the seals.

And from what I read online about dirt bikes, the "neutral" attitude for the shocks (again from what I read online) is fully extended (may not apply to Zeros, see below).

So yes, I fully extend the shocks (by jacking the bike in my case), then loosen the screws to release/equalize any built-up pressure, then retighten the screws. They have O-rings, so you have to back them out almost all the way, but you only have to tighten them to snug. If you have built-up pressure, you can hear it hissing out, with maybe a few bubbles.

I suppose some air trapped in the oil or sucked in through seals occurs frequently with aggressive dirt riding, so dirt bikers have to bleed this off regularly, or it will (I guess) blow out the seals. There are even pushbutton bleeders that replace the screws for that. For street riding on a Zero, though, I wouldn't think you'd need to do it that frequently. Like I said, I've bled mine a couple times and no air escaped.

For bike transport, when you have the forks compressed for a long period, Zero's manual recommends loosening the screws and leaving them that way during the transport -- probably again to prevent blowing the seals. They don't say anything about fully extending the front forks to retighten the screws IIRC, so maybe that doesn't apply to Zeros.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 07:44:18 AM »

I replaced the screws with little push button valves. Somebody posted in another thread that they did that and they didn't clear the plastic. The ones I used clear the plastic but not by much. It's very handy to just push the buttons after tying the bike down or after removing the tie downs.

I don't recall the brand of air release valves I used.

Trikester
Pages: [1]