• March 29, 2024, 03:17:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Safe way to use ECO regenerative braking in Sport mode  (Read 1722 times)

BSDThw

• View Profile
Safe way to use ECO regenerative braking in Sport mode
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:26:03 AM »

Hi I like the Sport mode most, but I like to use the regen braking in ECO mode.

If I enter a village I hate to put one hand off the handlebar and fiddle with the ECO/Sport switch.

So I decided to use the "High Beam Flash-to-Pass" switch as a parallel pushbutton.

Re-gen Neutral Deceleration Torque Setting
     Sport mode is 7%        /         in ECO mode 15%

Re-gen Braking Deceleration Torque Setting
     Sport mode is 15%        /        in ECO mode 25%

in Sports mode:
Throttle off  => 7% regen, pulling the "High Beam Flash-to-Pass" increase it to 15%, applying
rear brake increase it to 25%. And I have my hands at the handlebar.
It will take about 1 second of reaction => I believe this is also the reason why people say the rear brake feels wooden. Regen braking adds a throb to the rear brake.

in ECO mode nothing happens!

First open the left Handlebar Control.

26_Regen von BSDThw auf Flickr
re-solder the 2 wires (insulate carefully and store them in the place next to the light switch, maybe you will bring it back to original once)
Now solder a new 2 wire cable and lead it throw the outlet choked with that rubber dummy.
Close the Handlebar Control.

Next disconnect the 2 cable of the mode switch, and remove the insulating tape partly.

27_Regen von BSDThw auf Flickr

Bring your new "switch-cable" in position. Split the ECO cable and solder your new cable in parallel. Insulate and put insulating tape around like before.

24_Regen von BSDThw auf Flickr

The finished mod.

25_Regen von BSDThw auf Flickr

I even like to accelerate WOT in Docs words (Wide open Throttle) with triggered "High Beam Flash-to-Pass" and than release the switch. One second and you really feel the difference between both modes.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 01:37:59 AM by BSDThw »
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: Safe way to use ECO regenerative braking in Sport mode
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:29:47 PM »

Having some experience with the ECO-Mode Mod.

I was really possessed to have a higher regen with throttle off. Reality taught me even 7% in Sport-Mode is enough to decelerate when reaching a village entrance.
But passing through the village I can go with may car in neutral, with my Zero I have to open the throttle :'(.

If I could make my own setup. I would set regen to 0% at Sport-Mode, and connect the "High Beam Flash-to-Pass" with the rear brake switch.
It would be my commuter setup. costing through villages and having regen + brake light on before entering.

baumisch

• EV - EREV - PEDELEC Driver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »

Maybe a bit OT: Is it safe to switch Modes ECO/SPORT during Motorcycle driving? I was adviced by a dealer to make sure to switch modes only when key on OFF position. Did you notice any negative side effects while switching during ride?
2011 GreenMover  MTB - 0,25 KW - 0,3 kwH - 27+ km/h - 2.100km
2012 Zero S ZF9 - 9 KW - 9kwH - 140 km/h - 6.200km
2013 Opel Ampera - 111 KW - 16/10 kwH - 160km/h - 55.500km
2015 Tesla Model S P85 - 306 KW - 85 kwH - 210km/h

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 04:51:20 PM »

I know that the manual says you should only do it if the bike is off.

A lot of peoples hear switch from ECO to Sport I couldn't see a negative affect but I cannot advice doing things not allowed by the producer.

My profession is writing software for power regulators and if I would switch between to different modes it is the safest and easiest way to "tell" make it in off mode.

If you switch Sport to ECO and the regenerative braking took in and the driver slips it could maybe lead to a trail. But its all speculation!

I advice to use the rear brake signal so it is like normal operation.

So you will have 15% in Sport mode and 25% in ECO mode + a brake light when using the regn.

As an electrical engineer and a 4 year Toyota Prius user I can tell regenerative braking is nice but a drop in the bucket.

CliC

• View Profile
Re: Re: Safe way to use ECO regenerative braking in Sport mode
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 12:23:35 AM »

I've switched while riding numerous times. When "coasting" in sport mode, I can toggle the switch and feel the extra regen in less than half a second on my 2012.

The safety concerns stem perhaps from the fact that one hand must be removed from the handlebar to flip the switch, and that the regen kicks in without warning (though I doubt many would forget after the first couple of times).

I want to do a similar mod, though I think I would just tie it into the brake light circuit.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log
Pages: [1]