• April 25, 2024, 10:59:44 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Charging at 4 kw!  (Read 3363 times)

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: Charging at 4 kw!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 06:46:41 PM »

I am also commuting and do not need the fast charge every day, but if I do a lager weekend trip I have some nice spots around with possibility to recharge. And I have to recharge when riding there.

My plan is to install the GIVI Cruiser Case E21 and so I am able to take the 2 charger with my.

I think most do not need to quick charge.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2012, 05:51:26 AM »

good idea to take a second charger onboard in the cases and I guess just like in Oz we can plug two chargers easily into one powerboard/ so a "lager" (your typo  :) instead of larger) stops will do it. NB: Lager = a type of beer overhere.

Now we only need to work out to get those cases and the mounts without buying the police bike.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2012, 06:05:40 PM »

This is what I made with a Givi T470 (extendable bag). It requires some work, but is not difficult at all

- I modified the straps (it is originally designed as a tank bag, not a tail one).
- No additional drilling made on the bike chassis.
- I have made the "main" quick release connection with reinforced plastic side release buckles (I used an structural special acrylic two components adhesive to do it -do not try regular glue- it does not glue these PP plastics)
- I'm planning in testing a "hybrid" side release on it (aluminium + plastic)
- It fits very well, and is not very wide.
- You may fit one charger + cables without extending the bag -and maybe a second one- extending it, but this maybe a bit challenging...
- I added a 2nd strap to increase safety (I heard one of the forum members almost had an accident with a bag...)
- You can remove it from the saddle in less than 30 seconds and use it as a rucksack...

If you would like/need further information do not hesitate to ask

Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2012, 02:10:10 AM »

Just to clear my posted commentary.

very strange ???
I asked my dealer he should order 2 Charger for me and ask if all is included for the triple charge.

But the European Office told my dealer I will lose Warranty if I use more than one additionally charger!

I got the information from Zero Motorcycles European Office that I can charge with 2 or 3 additional charger. I guess there was a misunderstanding.

So I ordered 2 charger for may "side bags" project.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2012, 06:38:52 PM »

A company called Modular EV Power sells UL-listed J1772 inlets and control boards (AVC1 & AVC2) to generate the J1772 signals.
http://modularevpower.com/

I think I'm going to wait and see what Zero does next year for the 2013 bikes.. and see if the charging solution can be adapted to the 2012s. If not then I will probably take a look at a faster charger setup as well.

offthegrid, can you draw up a quick diagram of how you have the chargers wired up?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 06:49:59 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »

Eventually, if electric motorcycles are used for long rides, instead of trying to get the charge times down, it makes more sense to design a bike that has easily replaceable batteries so instead of recharging, you would just trade in your depleted batteries for recharged ones at a service station and be on your way...just like buying gas or bottled gas for that matter, so it could be a grocery store.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2012, 08:42:21 PM »

Hey guys I don't have a diagram handy, but I experimented with a few different setups before the proper connectors were available from zero. 

Right now I have a J1772 port that I cut into and soldered 2 10 gauge wires that each have a Delta Q/Computer power supply female end.   This is still in place on the bike right now

I originally had spliced and soldered a 4 wire Anderson powerpole connector to each of the charger output ends to connect all 4 wires in parallel.  Jon at Zero a few weeks ago sent me the orange braided anderson Y-connectors so I have 2 chargers connected to the side port, and two to the back port behind the motor controller.  When riding I disconnect the side port connection.

Here's a picture from www.facebook.com/lifeoffthegrid dated may 14th, so before the y-connectors were available and about 2 weeks after delivery of my motorcycle, when I was tinkering with different methods of delivering the Level 2 charging to the batteries.  Here it is charging with 3 chargers, but I am not using the actual green anderson connector on the end of the Delta Q charger since I had only 2 ports and 3 connectors.

100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2012, 08:44:36 PM »

Eventually, if electric motorcycles are used for long rides, instead of trying to get the charge times down, it makes more sense to design a bike that has easily replaceable batteries so instead of recharging, you would just trade in your depleted batteries for recharged ones at a service station and be on your way...just like buying gas or bottled gas for that matter, so it could be a grocery store.

Unfortunately, that would require standardized battery packs and installation/connection designs.  I don't see that ever happening.  Like most manufactured products technological advances and designs, it seems to me that few companies want to conform to what any other company is doing (and when they try, they get sued).  There are lots of examples of this and only a few examples of firms getting together and standardizing a design (like VHS or 120V AC).
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2012, 01:45:00 AM »

Hi Terry,

thanks for sharing your knowledge. I have some more questions because I can not exactly see what you did.

Bild05 von BSDThw auf Flickr

If you open/cut the DC line with the Anderson connector how many cables are there?

The Anderson connector has 2 Power pins battery +/- and 2 smaller pins. How are this small pins connected?

I see 4 wires 2x red and 2x black out of each original charger wire. Why is it 2-times. I would expect one red and one black cable.

What are the black boxes I marked at the photos? ( connectors / fuses )

You have explained the second battery circuit is at "the back port behind the motor controller"
is the green box your connection to the back port?
If not how can I connect there, where and what must be opened to reach the back port.

Bild04 von BSDThw auf Flickr

Thanks in advance for answering my questions.

Thomas

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2012, 02:28:24 AM »

The black boxes are in-line automotive 30A fuses that I used just as a precautionary measure because of how many amps we are dealing with should something not work as planned, although it turned out to be unnecessary.  There are 4 wires in each harness, I believe it was white, black, green and blue, and the anderson powerpoles were a quick connection to join the who chargers output (72V 12A) together into a single Anderson connector.  (72V 24A)  I used that for about a month until Zero sent me the orange braided Y-connectors.  Don't try to make your own, trust me, theirs are much better and I think one comes with each quick charge kit you buy so no need to make your own.  They just weren't available yet when I got my chargers.

The green box as you refer to is two mated anderson connectors.  You will see one of these plugged into the back of the battery box in the middle near the fuses on the right hand side.  It's a little tough to reach.  Good luck!!
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2012, 11:45:32 AM »

Thanks for explanations,
hope you share more of your experiences with us.

As much as I now you are the only one charging (regularly) with 4KW.

I saw your post about the battery and calculation, but you are really a "Zero Tester".
You quick charge you put a lot of miles in short time you ride at all weather condition, with additional load, that is a wonderful study.

I like your style,   keep it up!
Pages: 1 [2]