• April 27, 2024, 10:56:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Thinking of buying a S  (Read 1538 times)

ausvdub

• View Profile
Thinking of buying a S
« on: May 13, 2012, 08:24:23 PM »

So hear me out.  We had a Vespa lX50 back in the day.  This is our first and only two wheel ride we have owned.  Loved it, but sold it do due to power.

Shopping around now for a Vespa LX 150 (will upgrade the engine to the larger cc kit), but have now started to consider a Zero S.  I am bad about making my mind up only to change it.  I do have a few questions.

1- I am 200 and my wife is 120. Will the S handle 2 people like this?  I am not trying to go 100 miles, but more like 20-40 round trip maybe worst case?  I am sure it would be 95% commute for me and weekend toy for us.

2- I have the option to buy it in Colorado (Denver) or Texas (Austin which is where it will live.)  I am just trying to wrap my head around the rebates and still trying to figure this out.  Which would be better to buy from?

3- What is your take on the vespa vs 2?  One of the biggest things I love about the Vespa is the auto trans.  Lazy like that ha.   If I understand right is the S the same way or more like a tradition bike? I feel like if we ever did want to take the vespa out into the country we could do that, the S not so much and thats a concern, but not a deal breaker.  If my numbers are right, they will be both around the same speed?  But I may be way off.  COst I know is night and day between the two, but that is not the issue.  I want some greener as I have a suv and wife drives a tdi we run b100. 

I am just not sure which way I want to go on this so I am open to outside views.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
Re: Thinking of buying a S
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:58:14 PM »

Hi!  Welcome.
  Have you been out to the Zero website yet?  Good info there:
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-s/specs.php

1) The SZF6 has a 384 lb carrying capacity,  the SZF9 (same bike as SZF6 except 50% more battery) is rated to 340 lbs.  Neither bike comes with passenger foot pegs, it's an $350 option.  :-\    There's a way to poke a pipe though the bike that apparently works OK - others on this board have done it.

2) Colorado will give giant tax credits for Zero's.  $4850 for a SZF6, $6000 for a SZF9.  However, you HAVE to owe some income tax to Colorado to claim the credit.  There was also a Federal tax credit of 10% for tax year 2011.  It's expired, but may be renewed for 2012.  Here's a link to the details of the CO tax credit:
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheader=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1251787369179&ssbinary=true

3) Don't know anything about a Vespa. The S is like a traditional bike except that there's no clutch on the S.  One gear does all.   It's VERY easy to ride.

There are dealerships in Austin and Denver - If I were you I'd go take a test drive! 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:01:43 PM by ColoPaul »
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:54:40 PM »

What speeds is your 20-40 mile round trip worst case?

I would be comfortable taking a ZF6 on a 40 mile trip up to about 45-50 mph (constant speed). Shorter trips can be done at a higher speed. If you want more range and more speed, take a look at the ZF9.

The S is a fixed speed bike, it has only a single gear ratio. Twist and go to accelerate, roll off the throttle and the regen braking will slow you down. If I am not riding aggressively or in traffic I use the friction brakes very little.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:23:35 AM »

I own a 2011 S and a Vespa 300ie. I did own a Vespa 150S last year at this time. There are no gears to shift on the Zeros either. The rear brake for the Zero is engaged by using your right foot though instead of on the left hand grip. The front brake is in the same place as on your Vespa...by the right hand grip.

I think the only rebates are in California for California residents.

If you do buy in Austin, I think you can get a good deal. I have bought several bikes from them, and they will deal plus they can fix anything. I only had a flat so far on the Zero, and they fixed that in 15 min. LOL

Look into that 2013 Piaggio BV350 if you ride with a passenger too. That is what I would get for any highway commuting instead of the Zero S. It would save you a bundle too. I have heard very good things about the new BV. AF1 in Austin has those in stock too. 

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »

ausvdub,

Being one of the few Europeans in this forum I believe I can give you some advice about Piaggio (if you want to go "GAS").
The Vespa is a very nice and funny scooter, but if you plan to ride with a partner on regular bases what dkw12002 is suggesting you -the BV350- might be a better choice (more space, capacity, comfort, wind protection, etc...) both models are automatic (no clutch)

Nevertheless, if you decide to go electric, the driving experience is very, very nice -although Piaggio makes very fine, and low noise scooters, the "silent" start, and driving is worth it...

Go for a Zero demo ride!!!
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R
Pages: [1]