• March 29, 2024, 09:43:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wired Magazine Reviews the Zero DS  (Read 3224 times)

Nukie

• View Profile
Wired Magazine Reviews the Zero DS
« on: May 04, 2012, 06:48:52 PM »

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2012/05/bike-life-electric/

Thoughts? i think he raises some valid points. How has your experience compared?

I've been contemplating a Zero DS purchase.
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

rotoiti

• View Profile
Re: Wired Magazine Reviews the Zero DS
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 09:09:48 PM »

Thanks for the link. As an owner of Zero DS ZF9 I can say some of his points are completely valid, some are bogus though.

Here is my take:
- Yes, Zero DS cannot be used as a primary vehicle. How am I supposed to carry any bulkier purchase home without a car?
- I am getting 60 mile range when I ride it on hwy 101 at highway speeds (70-75 mph). Riding in traffic, the range goes up to 80-90 miles.
- Recharging 45 min here and there helps. Perhaps the author was connecting to dead outlets?
- Sure, the stock tires are cheap. But simple Google query for "3.00x16 tires" reveals plenty of places local and online willing to sell you these tires.
- Completely agree about the mirrors and the brake line.
- My own gripe is the instrument cluster (it is mounted at a wrong angle, is pretty much unreadable and doesn't display charging information).

That being said I am finding my Zero DS is an excellent commuter/second vehicle. I am lucky that I fit all the points in "Could you do it?" section. My commute is 27.7 miles one way via highway (at 70 mph) and I can plug in at work, proudly taking one of the "electric vehicle only" spots. Even if I couldn't plug in at work I wouldn't feel range anxiety for 56 miles round trip. If I saw I was depleting the battery too much on a highway (i.e. due to a strong headwind) I would just exit it and ride slowly back home (yes, I have done it before and it worked LOL).
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »

I'm getting more like 40 miles if I ride continuously at highway speeds (70 mph, S ZF9).

I agree on all his "could you do it" points except the last. My typical commute is 25-60 miles (40-60 mph speeds), I have no problem doing this on a single charge (cannot charge at work sadly). If you can charge at work (or any place where you can conveniently leave the bike for a length of time), then you can easily handle a longer commute or impromptu trips.

Short charges definitely help, I ride over to a friend's house (20 miles, ~3 bars) at 5:15 a few times a week to run, plug in when I get home at 6:30, bike has almost a full charge when I leave for work at 7:30 - 8:30. The problem is that the energy gauge is ridiculously low resolution (11 bars), it's useless as an indication of how much charge you pick up in 45 minutes.

The onboard charger IME charges approximately 1.1 bars per hour.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Nukie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 02:53:40 AM »

Thanks. This is great feedback. I really appreciate it. Keep it coming.
"Life is locomotion. If you're not moving, you're not living." – The Flash

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 04:15:42 AM »

Hmm. A little cynical, methinks. I too meet his requirements, but I'll comment on a couple:

1. As to his "extremeny easy" access to outlets comment, well, I live in an apartment. How do I access my outlet? Drive the bike into my apartment, of course. Try that with any gas bike. This also encourages me to ride a lot more, as the bike is readily available. This is a non-issue if you own a home I think.

2. Yes, you have to have access to a gas vehicle. As some else stated, you really need a car, as you can't carry any large items on a bike.  I'll combine that with his pickup comment by saying that I wouldn't be without a pickup period, bike or no bike.

3. I live in a relatively small town, and have done a fair bit of "impromptu" riding. I haven't found the lack of range to be an issue. I can't ride the bike the 60 miles to the nearest major city, but I pretty much knew that going in.

As for the tires, I'm not sure how fast he's trying to ride, but I have gotten some pretty good lean in some corners and have yet to feel like I was about to lose traction. They may not be great dirt tires, but most dual-sport knobbies aren't; they're inherently a compromise.

And last but certainly not least: I usually put a tank of gas per week into my truck, at a cost of $70-80+. Since I've had the Zero, I've put in one tank in FOUR weeks.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 04:36:51 AM »

Wes Siler of, Hell for Leather is certainly a "glass half full" kind of guy.  I wonder if he was looking for some leather on the Zero and maybe a V-twin between his legs.   ::)  A bit too negative for me.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 08:44:47 AM »

I agree completely with Richard230.   I thought the article was very negative.   :(   He clearly didn't get any enjoyment out of the positives of the Zero.  Truth is, an electric motorcycle is not for everyone - so why did he write an article that started out assuming it should be?

Nukie:  I have a daily commute regimen of about 30 miles.  I can charge easily at home.  I don't typically transport kids or major appliances.  I don't get impromptu calls from women 50 miles away wanting me to deliver them lunch.  My employer won't let me charge at work, but I still have enough leftover to run errands at lunch.  The bike (with a backpack) works great for me, is really fun to ride, and I can go 240 miles on $2 of electricity.   You live in Colorado, so like me you're looking at $5000-$6000 in tax rebates. 
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 10:04:36 AM »

that's it  about for me with WIRED - or at least their "autoblog", copied a rather negatice review and published it. used to read it a bit. this half bake review -- she has not even ridden the bike ? not much mentioning how much fun it is and goes of on some details. ignoring as well that other bikes in the range have say 17" wheels only etc....

as for the only mode of transport. or let's say owned transport the Zero can work. With a strong growing car share (goget.com.au etc.) developing and whatever your needs are you just pick up a car or truck or van and rent it by the hour. much cheaper than owning a vehicle or full day traditional rentals.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 10:36:14 AM »

It appears the author did a whole series on his time with the Zero, of which Wired only picked up the last installment. You apparently have to subscribe to his e-motomag to read the rest of them, but the "trailers" for one or two of them seem to paint the Zero in a more positive light.

In another of his Wired pieces, he describes his recuperation period after he rolls a Russian sidecar rig and breaks his wrist, rendering him unable to ride a motorcycle for two weeks. Apparently his livelihood, friendships, love life, and sanity rely in large part on his ability to lane-split. I don't live in California, so I can't comment on how much of a life essential that is, but since motorcycling is somewhat risky I'd think he would at least have a "plan B" :)
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

rotoiti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 09:28:18 PM »

[...] his ability to lane-split. I don't live in California, so I can't comment on how much of a life essential that is [...]
Los Angeles != California :)

People do lane splits here in the Bay Area but I find them largely unnecessary. If the traffic here was so bad as it is rumored is down there in LA, I'd probably lane split as well.
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2012, 03:59:34 AM »

When my daughter was going to UCSD she would visit me on the weekends and leave San Diego on Friday evening. She said that she would typically have to split lanes for 50 miles on the 405 to get to my house, just south of San Francisco by 6 am in the morning on her Suzuki GS500E.  She figured splitting lanes saved her over an hour getting through LA on a Friday night.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2012, 05:45:40 AM »

The author makes a valid points about range being less than people probably thought, and outlets being few and far between; however, a commuter should have this all figured out before he bought. A half hour charge on my bike does a lot...gains 2 bars at least so I disagree with him there. I thought everyone understood you needed some kind of backup. I have heard of people who just have a motorcycle or even a bicycle, but most of us need a car or truck for stuff, family members, bad weather, etc. and so if you had a gas motorcycle for backup, you would still need a car. I think there are a lot of people though who know exactly what their commute is going to entail and can get there and back on an electric motorcycle just fine. My situation is different than the author's and I can think of lots of situations where he would be just as helpless if he had a gas motorcycle...needing to pick up a kid from school, get home on snow and ice, give a colleague a ride home, pick up a case of bottled water from the grocery, etc. 

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:52:44 PM »

I think the reviewer (Wes Siler) was negatively biased, and I said so by posting this comment on Wired.com:

Wes' negative bias has crept into his writing.

I have one of these bikes - a 2012 ZF9 - so I may also be a bit biased. I've ridden my bike not for two weeks, but for four months and 2,200 miles. You made some significant mistakes in your reporting - we should fix this.

First of all my tires still look brand new - Zero put "Road Winner" tires on the ZF9 - a $130 tire made in Japan.

Secondly, 60 miles per charge sounds like freeway-only riding. Most people do a combination of city/freeway riding and will get more range. I have achieved over 80 miles per charge riding at 45 MPH.

Third,  the charge time you mentioned applies to situations when the batteries are completely dead. Who drives their car until it runs out of gas before going to the gas station? Most people will plug-in when the batteries are still partially charged - and - you don't have to have a 100% charge to start riding, just as you can put a few bucks worth of gas in your car to get you where you're going and fill-up later. The quick charger charges the bike up at a rate of 2 'bars' (11 is 'full') every 45 minutes. If you plug in and taking a 90 minute lunch break (for example) you have charged over 30%.

Fourth, your comments about calculating round-trip mileage vs. one-way are silly and condescending. You really think no one thought of this before? How does this differ from any other vehicle?

Fifth, you are wrong about the outlets. I have been riding electric motorcycles for four years and have never had a problem finding an outlet - and I don't live in L.A.  For example, I checked into a hotel last night - asked the desk clerk if I could charge up for a couple of hours and he happily showed me where I could plug-in. My wife and I rode 25 miles to a restaurant, found a public charging station two blocks from the restaurant, charged while having dinner, and rode back to the hotel where I plugged-in once again.

Sixth, your comment about employers "condoning such behavior" is, again, silly, with the insinuation that "such behavior" is undesireable.  Many companies want to portray a "green" image and will be happy to accommodate employees that want or need to charge at work (mine does).

This bike is a huge leap in EV evolution. You won't likely ride it across country, I'll give you that, but as a "second" vehicle it will end up providing 90% of your transportation needs while your "first" vehicle sits in the garage collecting spider webs and dust.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 04:47:39 AM »

Thanks to Brammofan, who provided the link at the Brammo Owners Forum, here is the video of the Hell for Leather review:  The Shocking Truth About Electric Motorcycles - RIDEAPART

The video is worse than the print version, unfortunately.   >:(

flar

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2012, 05:05:44 AM »

Thanks to Brammofan, who provided the link at the Brammo Owners Forum, here is the video of the Hell for Leather review:  The Shocking Truth About Electric Motorcycles - RIDEAPART

The video is worse than the print version, unfortunately.   >:(
LMAO!  He rides it like he's bowlegged, which can't be good for wind resistance (or comfort should he need to punch the brakes and keep himself from slamming forward), and then when he "leans" into a corner with what looks like a whopping 20 degree lean angle (that's 20 degrees from vertical, not 20 degrees from the road), the leg comes out and he leans his body as if it's straining the limits of physics.

Ummm... Where did he learn to "ride"?
Currently riding: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Used to ride: '88 Hawk GT, '97 BMW F650 Funduro
Other electric motorcycles test ridden: 2012 Zero S/DS, Brammo Empulse R, 2013 Zero S, Energica Ego/Eva
Other EV own: Tesla Model X
Other EV test drives: Tesla Roadster/S/3
Pages: [1] 2 3