• April 27, 2024, 03:12:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: my new zero S  (Read 1434 times)

blake

• View Profile
my new zero S
« on: April 24, 2012, 03:52:05 AM »

dear fellow Zero fans,

I'm happy to report I picked up my new Zero S (ZF9 - black) on the weekend. What a blast! I'm really enjoying this bike. Despite our frigid turn in the weather (today it is snowing here), I put 192km on the bike in 2 rides. On Sunday I did 100.8km of spirited riding in Sport mode (up to 126kph and some hills) before the last 2 bars started flashing (better than i expected given warnings that the battery would take a while to build a longer range profile). My KillaWatt meter shows it took 7.37KWh to recharge (which at 6.2 cents per KWh in off-peak rate plus 3 cents per KWh surcharge from Bullfrog power to source all that from renewables, cost me 93 cents - versus the $7 I would have spent in gas for the same ride on a comparable 250cc bike). Sweet!

I was impressed at how the power builds even at higher speeds (e.g. accelerating to pass from 120kph to 130kph), where my Vespa 300S would have run out of steam. The handling and riding position and suspension are, to my view, nearly ideal. And I love the look of the bike. Have a tail-bag on it already. My only disappointment is the lacklustre acceleration from standstill in eco mode: it's almost dangerous how much slower it is off the mark in eco mode compared to surrounding automobile traffic.

I'm having a blast. Too bad they're calling for a mix of rain and snow for the next 3-4 days...

Anyway... just had to share with you all.

blake

craigq

• View Profile
Re: my new zero S
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 04:11:00 AM »

Congrats Blake. How did you get it registered with your provincial ministry of transportation?
bikeless

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 04:50:45 AM »

Be sure to take it easy the first 500 miles. Let it idle a couple minutes, then start out slowly and don't exceed 4000 rpms, go through the gears, vary the speed and...no wait, wrong forum. Just boot it up and ride. Enjoy the new bike.

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 06:07:24 AM »

Awesome, dude, congrats! I agree with you about the off-the-line behavior in Eco mode, though I haven't found it dangerous yet where I ride. I actually wish there was a way to have the Sport acceleration/power/top speed profile with the Eco regen braking one. I actually entertain myself by guessing when to drop the throttle and regen-brake to a stop exactly where I need to be without pinching the discs (after checking that the road behind is clear, of course :)

What kind of tail bag did you get?
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 07:47:03 AM »

congrats. and you have done the 100 (ok K's not miles) in one charge easily.

Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

blake

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:01:01 AM »

Be sure to take it easy the first 500 miles. Let it idle a couple minutes, then start out slowly and don't exceed 4000 rpms, go through the gears, vary the speed and...no wait, wrong forum. Just boot it up and ride. Enjoy the new bike.

Ha! good one! right you are...

blake

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 08:03:17 AM »

I actually wish there was a way to have the Sport acceleration/power/top speed profile with the Eco regen braking one. I actually entertain myself by guessing when to drop the throttle and regen-brake to a stop exactly where I need to be without pinching the discs (after checking that the road behind is clear, of course :)

Yeah I was thinking the same thing (sport mode acceleration combined with eco mode regen would be the perfect combination). I guess they can remap the software at some point to do that.

And yes I found myself doing the same thing, guessing when to lay off the throttle to "coast" to the light without having to lay it back on. Amusement comes in many forms...

blake

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »

Congrats Blake. How did you get it registered with your provincial ministry of transportation?

The dealer handled all that. Didn't seem to be a problem. Is yours still not plated?

kcsfo

• View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/kcsfo
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:07:02 AM »

Congrats.  I agree with the dangerous off the line slow speed.  I have a 2011 S and there is no eco mode.  I work on California Street in San Francisco, the same street the cable cars go up the hill.  It take a couple of seconds before the S even starts moving up the hill.  However, the acceleration is awesome once it starts moving and I can always pass all the cars half way up the hill and finish first on top of the hill.

blake

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:07:33 AM »

What kind of tail bag did you get?

just a tail bag I had hanging around from when I had my W650. A big square bag with a rain cover. Just big enough for a helmet. I can't remember who makes it (sorry don't want to trudge out in the wet snow to the garage to find out!). But the cool thing is it has protector pads on the side and bungie straps that reach down under the rear seat frame and clip to each other. It's a cinch to take on and off. I'll try to post a picture later this week.

ed5000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 08:08:18 AM »

All these ZF9s!  I'd love a ZF9 but I'm still happy with my 2010 ZF4! ;D

Congrats!
2010 Zero DS                                             Track your ev mileage:  evclub.org

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »

The dealer handled all that. Didn't seem to be a problem. Is yours still not plated?

Don't forget to post some pics. Do we have a picture thread on here???

My XU still isn't plated, the MTO "hotline" gave a standard response of "we'll get back to you in 5-10 business days".
bikeless
Pages: [1]