• March 29, 2024, 07:55:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Leg Room - S vs DS  (Read 1167 times)

Ray R

• View Profile
Leg Room - S vs DS
« on: April 21, 2012, 08:19:28 AM »

I've been looking at the studio photos of both bikes. It looks to me like the distance between the seat and the footpegs is the same on both bikes. The DS obviously has more suspension travel and sits taller. But sitting taller doesn't necessarily equate to more leg room if the distance from the seat to the pegs is the same. Since I'm on the tall side, it matters to me. Can anyone confirm? I don't have a local dealer to visit.

rotoiti

• View Profile
Re: Leg Room - S vs DS
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 08:33:51 AM »

I am 6'4" and have long legs. I sat on both 2012 S and DS models and was considerably more comfortable on a DS. That is what I purchased and I don't regret my decision. I'd really recommend experiencing both bikes yourself if you have a chance. Who knows, you may find S better suited for your comfort.
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

Ray R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 08:51:34 AM »

I'm the same size as you. Can you confirm for sure the distance between the seat and pegs is greater on the DS? I live in Oregon, and there are no dealers where I can experience them both.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2012, 08:58:15 AM by Ray R »

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
Re: Re: Leg Room - S vs DS
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 08:56:47 AM »

Ray,

The distance is the same from seat to pegs on both the S and DS.

Generally, our customers who are taller than 6' prefer the seat height of the DS.

Hope that helps.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Ray R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 09:00:30 AM »

Thanks for the reply, Harlan. But please help clarify this for me. If the distance between the seat and pegs is the same for both models, what makes the DS more comfortable for taller riders?

rotoiti

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 09:23:57 AM »

I find the DS much easier to control when I am stopped or when I am starting to move. I can actually stand flat on both feet and still feel the seat under my "behind" and not somewhere near my knees.
2014 Zero SR, 2012 Zero DS ZF9 (gone)

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 11:02:40 AM »

The seat-to-peg distance is the same on both bikes, but the DS does feel better to me also when stopped. I don't know why; maybe because my legs aren't as splayed out I have a better leg "grip" on the bike without having to think about it as much.

I ended up getting the DS primarily because I felt it dealt with bad pavement a little bit better, and I liked its looks a bit better. The S was a bit quicker steering (the bars are the same I think, but geometry is different), and I generally like cast wheels better than spokers. Overall, the gap between them wasn't great, and I would have been happy with either machine, but the net sum of little bits came up in favor of the DS for me.

I let a shorter friend ride it, and he did have to tip-toe it at rest.

For reference I'm 6'1.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log
Pages: [1]