• April 26, 2024, 02:49:31 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: weekend project with stuff from my garage to get some storage onto the Zero  (Read 2651 times)

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support

Hi all,
inspired by several posts about getting some storage on the Zero I took to work last w/end. had a look at all the unpractical and unecessary covers on the front (above the fues box) and rear above my 2011 fan inlet.
decided to take the rear off and have a closer look. In a way removing the shaped cover creates a flater area and with that a nice space to put a pack for some storage on. wanted it just usable for some usual runs, like to get some takeways, a sixpack or take some rain gear on a "longer" ride.
Luckily had my self a not to big soft, nice red chilly bin (eski or cooler to say it multi language) and thought I fit that on. As it is all soft but well insulated which will help in wet conditions I needed to find something to strengthen the base. Had some spare plastic toolboard - the thing you buy on a bargain and never install - and it worked out perfect for this job. Long talk, guess the photos give an idea. by the way - a couple of hours work and $2 on parts. It cost me a bit as I did buy some screws to fit the Zero. I used as well wingnuts to be able to simply take the bag off.

now, let the pics talk....

Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

manlytom

• View Profile

so the bag on the bike fits my raingear, a laptop if I go into work,,, all thats needed.

looks not to large and in fact is not heavier than the backpack I used to use. And without pack on your back -- riding is so much more fun.
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020

Richard230

• View Profile

There is a company that sells a flat steel rack that fastens to your seat with Velcro straps. I have one and I have used it several times on my SV650 to carry large boxy items and it has worked as well as can be expected, considering its mounting method. It is painted black and full of holes and slots to accommodate various mounting positions and methods of strapping stuff to the plate. It sells for $55 and is called the Fast Rack, made by the Cycle Guys at www.TheCycleGuys.com

I have not tried it on the Zero, but it looks like it would work. Not very pretty, though. But it would be great for strapping a milk crate to.   ::)

It is also possible to throw a set of cheap soft saddlebags over this plate  and the width of the plate will keep them away from the painted parts on the side panels of your bike.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 09:34:25 PM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog

I've mounted an old bicycle tail rack bag onto the back of the bike. It's enough to carry rain gear, registration papers, and a few odds and ends .. lunch if I bring it to work. I do have to be more careful swinging my leg over the bike though.

Zero has a set of branded saddlebags + tailbag for $350.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=117

I believe they are the Dowco Rally saddlebags and tailbag. Saddlebags are $81 online..
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/dowco-rally-pack-deluxe-series-sportbike-saddlebag/310-2171.aspx

Tailbag is $64. Will fit a full-size helmet, it claims.
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Product/dowco-rally-pack-deluxe-series-sportbike-tailbag/310-2170.aspx

I've got a set of saddlebags on my GS500 that I like a lot, they are normally about 7" deep but expand out to about 12" deep for hauling groceries. The straps have unfortunately rubbed against the side of the bike and damaged the fairing, but other than that the bags have worked quite well.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

1sweet66

• View Profile

Zero branded bags are the Dowco's. We got two sets with each of our bikes, and they had Dowco instructions in them.

manlytom

• View Profile

thx for all the ideas. by the time I add shipping I am at quite some cost. So how easy do these bags go on/off the bike ? the aftermarket once seem to be 5 times less ...

so would rather get these.

T
Tom

Richard230

• View Profile

There are a ton of catalog sites selling discounted motorcycle accessories, including everyone's favorite, Amazon.

I have been happy with Motorcycle Superstore. They have good prices, don't charge shipping for orders over $90, don't charge sales tax and their stuff has always arrived within a few days of my order.

When it comes to motorcycle soft luggage, there are lots of choices, many good products and most have very reasonable prices. It just takes a little research.

Most of these saddlebags just throw over the seat and will fit just about every motorcycle (and horse). The problem with the Zero is that the seat is pretty short and the straps supporting the rear half of the bag will have to be placed over the tail section. That means that you need to figure out a way to protect the paint on the tail section, with either clear paint protector, such sold by 3M or Snidersproducts.com, or you can also use stick-on foam insulation tape as sold in every hardware store. You need some product to protect your finish from abrasion from the nylon straps that hold on the luggage, or to keep the sides of the mounted luggage from rubbing against the paint.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog

You think the Sniders film will work, Richard230? The 3M film is pretty expensive online.

I've outgrown the tailbag I strapped on the back, it sucks not having cargo space. Contemplating moving the bags from the GS500 over, or maybe get some new bags. I'd like something slimmer than the Dowco bags - measured existing bags, approximately 7" deep normally, about 12" deep when expanded.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile

What I like about the Sniders film is that it sticks without adhesive and can be removed are reused in another area if needed. It also works better on a compound surface than most other similar materials.

If you really want to go cheap, you can buy some clear plastic shelf-lining material. The stuff doesn't work too well on compound surfaces and you want to get some that has a light adhesive, as some adhesives can damage some paint finishes.  What I did on my bike was to buy a roll of window insulation self-stick sponge-rubber tape and stuck it where my luggage straps were rubbing the paint. So far that seems to work, but does not look as nice as properly applied Snider film.

I have also used black plastic electrical insulation tape with some success, provided you don't mind the color, or can cut it into a creative shape to compliment your bodywork design.

My recommendation is to try the cheap stuff first to protect your finish and if you don't like it, move on to something more expensive.

manlytom

• View Profile

Hi guys
all nice and good. I am still looking to cut of the rear to go back to the great skadamo 2009 look. so I need a smallish throw over that the rear of the seat with all the rear light etc. brought in.

so will keep working on it.

t
Tom

RickSteeb

• View Profile

Zero branded bags are the Dowco's. We got two sets with each of our bikes, and they had Dowco instructions in them.
Thanks for the tip.  The Dowco saddlebag works superbly on my '12DS!
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

zap mc

• View Profile

would be pleased to show a rear bike rack we sourced but the file size is too large for this forum, unless anyone has any ideas on how to post it here...

Richard230

• View Profile

What I do with my camera photos, which are typically just a little too large for the 600K maximum attachment ("Additional Options"), is to trim them down by knocking off the edges of the photo using the edit feature of my computer's photo editing and printing program. I can usually get the photo trimmed down to 600K, while still showing the main feature of the picture.

CliC

• View Profile

Zap, if you are on Windows you can use something like IrfanView (freeware, excellent viewer and basic image manipulator) to resize or resample the image to make it fit in 600kB. I would assume Macs come with capable tools as well.

If you want, email me the file and I'll do this and post the pic on your behalf.

Corey
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

manlytom

• View Profile

Use Google Picasa to manage all your pics and you can export to any size easily.
Tom
Pages: [1] 2