• April 25, 2024, 08:48:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: have you fallen over ?  (Read 1219 times)

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
have you fallen over ?
« on: March 02, 2012, 04:24:04 AM »

:-[ :-[ :-[
figured I share my little mishap this week as some of you might have encountered the same. was riding in slow traffic that stopped, stopping, leaning to the right and started to put my right foot down. But wonder -- the foot won't move - stuck !! All I could do to prepare for a slow as possible fall onto the right side. Bike fell and being so light no issue but went onto full throttle, I started wondering briefly about that high pitch whining of the motor. I hit the kill switch -- no thats what it is for - isnt it ... and lifted the bike up again. all looked allright me and bike - nothing hurt etc.  :)
 footbrake and handbrake a little bend though, the light material does that easily it seems.
So what happened ? My dragging jeans caught on the rear brake cover (2011) and hence I could not get my foot of the footpeg ... Will see if I can bend this in a bit or do something else to avoid this from happening. Obviously can put left foot down ... but habbits ....

Cheers
T
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: have you fallen over ?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:36:47 AM »

Bummer.  :(

[Knock on wood] I haven't fallen over (yet), but I did have the bike fall on top of me when I was unloading it off the hitch carrier.  I ended up bending the handlebars and breaking the CRG bar end mirror but no damage occurred to anything else.  Except my pride.  ::)  It was still under warranty so, the next time my tech was in the neighborhood, she replaced the bars.  I'm not sure it was technically covered by the warranty, but Brammo has always treated me well.
2010 Brammo Enertia

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 04:55:21 AM »

I have fallen over a couple of times. Once my front tire fell into the space between a set of railroad tracks (where the wheel flange fits) on the access road to the Panama Canal locks. That really stopped me dead and I still have a scar on my forearm to remember the experience.  Now, whenever I approach any railroad crossing, I do my best to cross it at right angles.

I have also fallen over a couple of times when stopped. Usually due to my boots slipping on gravel and once on a 1971 Triumph Bonneville (the first year for the oil-in-the-frame design, with its 34-inch seat height), whose seat was too high and my legs were too short.

Glad to hear that you were not hurt too bad. Gotta watch it when wearing those bell-bottom pants.   ;D  Having a Zero fall over on you sure beats having a BMW K1200GT falling over and crushing you.   :o
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 05:07:35 AM »

Glad you're OK. I haven't dropped a bike in years, but last time I did it was related to the kick stand. I had a bad habit of putting the kickstand down, stopping and hopping off all in one motion. Thing is, I didn't have the kick stand all the way forward and it bounced back up. Light bike and I caught it...er it landed on me...same thing right? Anyway no damage. I looked around quickly and nobody saw me so it was all OK. Light weight is your friend in lots of ways..most importantly perhaps, acceleration=force/mass compliments of Mr. Newton.

cirrus pete

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 05:43:16 AM »

Dropped my Stella Scooter twice, once moving once not. Once when I first bought it and didn't appreciate that the motor on one side of the bike meant that if you are holding the bike from the non motor side and it starts to lean over on the motor side good luck trying to hold it up. Second was going about 5 mph hit some sand or loose gravel and wheel spun out. Down I went along with my pride but other than a hole in my dress shirt no worse for wear (can't say the same for the crash guard I put on scooter after I dropped it the first time).

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 04:42:52 AM »

have had a close look at the plate that covers the rear brake cylinder assembly. At least on my bike it had about half an inch of space and hence any trowser -- not even "bell bottoms" can get caught easily. REcommend that Zero checks for this and improves. I did my own little fix by bending the top in a bit. so should be safe now ...

T
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

eddiebee

• 2015 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 11:32:31 AM »

better off just going barefoot  ;D

Pages: [1]