• April 23, 2024, 02:49:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Parking brake  (Read 3123 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Parking brake
« on: February 18, 2012, 05:11:30 AM »

If you haven't noticed yet, electric motorcycles need a parking brake.  While there may be several different ways to secure the Zero when parked on a hill, here is the cheapest and lightest method.  You can get a roll of this hook and loop strap in your garden center. It is used to tie back droopy plants against their adjacent sticks - and it has other uses.   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Parking brake
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 07:11:49 AM »

I have done that very same thing. I use that velcro to secure my charging cable when it is coiled up. In a pinch, I've used it as a parking brake. :D
2010 Brammo Enertia

dkw12002

• View Profile
Re: Parking brake
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 07:54:26 AM »

I hadn't thought of that but you are right. The bike is always in neutral and if you park downhill, the bike could roll if someone bumped it.  With a motorcycle, you can stop that by putting it in gear. I think just making sure to park level or slightly uphill solves the problem as well though and never park going downhill. Most people shut off their motorcycles in neutral anyway. Remember if you have a downward incline, you can always back in which means the bike is parked uphill and the kickstand locked into place and no, we don't want a reverse on the Zero. I hope in next year's model they find ways to reduce the weight, and not add anything that makes it heavier. Can you imagine the Zero S with the big battery weighing in at say 300 lbs? Weight is definitely your enemy in an e-motorcycle. 

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 10:45:58 AM »

I use a big "rubber band" made by cutting an old bicycle inner tube to hold the brake lever in parking position. It's quick and it stores easily on the bar. However, I usually park with the bike pointed uphill, when possible, letting the locked side stand hold it.

forgitaboutut

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 08:14:20 PM »

sheesh! you'd think that with an $11K - $14K  tag, it would have one! (no centerstand I assume?)
my wifes $8K scooter has both!

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 10:01:38 PM »

Probably no center stand for weight savings. My GS500 has both too, centerstand assembly probably weighs a couple pounds.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:41:50 AM »

Here is a hint should you ever experience a soft feel at the front brake lever. Before trying to bleed the system to expunge any air bubbles in the brake line, try squeezing the front brake hard and strapping it in place like shown in my photo of the parking brake idea.  Then turn the forks all the way to the left, with the bike on the side stand, to get the brake master cylinder as high as possible. Leave it that way over night and you may find that your brake lever feels nice and firm in the morning.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »

Wow! I'll have to remember that technique. I had never heard of that before but I'll sure try it the next time I have air in a front brake line. If it works it sure would be a lot easier than the normal bleeding routine.

daniels1216

• Zero Motorcycle SR/S premium
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 10:26:46 AM »

is this a relevant way to park the new Zero SR/F? Also, the bike comes with the Bosch msc which is said to help the bike from rolling backwards on a hill, yet I don't feel this working.
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 07:22:11 PM »

is this a relevant way to park the new Zero SR/F? Also, the bike comes with the Bosch msc which is said to help the bike from rolling backwards on a hill, yet I don't feel this working.

Using a piece of Velcro strap, or something similar, wrapped around the front brake lever after you have squeezed it tight against the handlebar should work very well as a cheap and easy brake lock to keep the bike from rolling on a sloped surface. It will work on any motorcycle, including the SR/F.

daniels1216

• Zero Motorcycle SR/S premium
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 01:04:05 AM »

Thanks you for the info!
10 year daily motorcycle rider, lifelong B.M.X. rider, and lifelong academic advocating for smart transportation in California

stevenh

• Newington NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2019, 05:26:20 PM »

I use the little zero branded do-hickey every time I park now.  I rolled my SR/F off the stand on a slight decline at a lake house I was renting this year and she went over.  The good news is there was no real damage (just a very small scratch on one of the lower plastic pieces) and I was able to stand the bike up again without the help of a crew.  I won't let that happen again!  Hint, use your legs!

Steve
2020 SR/F Premium
2022 Ioniq 5 SEL
Pages: [1]