• April 27, 2024, 05:51:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Riding in the Rain  (Read 1234 times)

oobflyer

• View Profile
Riding in the Rain
« on: February 11, 2012, 10:37:57 PM »

I just searched through the owner's manual (2012 S ZF9) and it doesn't mention riding in the rain.

I plan to ride year-round, but it would be nice to have the assurance that the bike is OK in the wet weather.

When I picked up the bike from the dealership I got caught in the rain. I rode for a good five or so miles in a downpour and didn't experience any problem at all. Other than than it hasn't rained much since I got the bike.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Riding in the Rain
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 12:56:08 AM »

Would be nice to know. If they are OK in rain for long duration I'll be impressed. My '99 sv650's front cylinder would stop firing if I ran it in serious rain for too long. The reason was water would pool around the spark plug. Rain was also the death of it's horn.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 06:34:14 AM »

I am sorry to report that I planned to ride my Zero S over to Fairfax to visit my daughter, but it rained all night and was still raining in the morning (mostly just over my home in Pacifica) and I chickened out and drove my car.  I even had the inspection ports covered with clear package sealing tape, but I just couldn't think about getting that beautiful and clean Zero dirty.  What a wimp I am.   :-[

At least I was able to help my son-in-law change the oil in the forks of his 2K VFR without breaking anything (that I know of).   ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »

We'll forgive you this time since its new. ;-)

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 04:24:39 PM »

Hi guys
With the climate change giving us heaps of rain i have been caught out several times. No problems at all. Last time super heavy rain - tropical downpour - no problems. Even thus far that cars banked up. After intital stop and go and my right foot deep in water i decided to take the other lane. No cars going there and 2 to 3 foot deep. I know the road well and no deeper holes or so and just cruised past them all !
Therefore no issue with the 2011S so far in the water.

WOndering if extended riding with submerged parts is working though. I. e.  a BMW GS as in LonG Ways ... Rides through seriously deep water.

Cheers
Tom :)
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

cirrus pete

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 09:43:23 PM »

I use my 2011 S (and my 2010 S before that) for my short daily commute to the commuter rail train station. Day in day out, every weekday unless there is actually snow on the road or I am travelling. I live in the NYC area so I see lots of weather extremes from freezing cold to torential rain. My bike sits out in the weather during the day in the station parking lot and in my garage at night. I have ridden it when it was sopping wet from a recent rain and I have ridden it in heavy rain. Hell, I have even ridden it in the snow before there was any accumulation on the roads. Zero has told me that the bike is weather proof, and so far I have seen nothing to dispute that. I don't think I have ever had an issue with the bike that was related to wet weather. I haven't even seen moisture inside the speedometer. I will also say that the bike handles the rain well enough with good grip from the tires.

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 11:20:12 PM »

I ride in all weather and have never had any problems.  Everything on the bike is  built to resist the rain.  I've hosed the bikes off to wash them.  I would avoid using a power washer to clean it off, but I would never use one on a gas bike either.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Spires

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 05:01:22 AM »

I have a 2011 DS stripped and turned into straight up dirtbike and I have submerged it completely without any issues at all... SO a little road rain wont do squat but wash it for ya 8)

nick5446

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 05:05:51 AM »

Rain is no issue for those bikes...just don't COMPLETELY submerge it, after all, nothing is completely waterproof  ;)

Daveruns

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 03:03:16 AM »

I have 2,800 miles on my 2011 S including lots of rain days. It also sits outside the office during the day and has been rained on many times. No problems as yet. I don't worry about it.
Pages: [1]