• March 29, 2024, 11:12:53 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Windshield Makes a Difference  (Read 1493 times)

oobflyer

• View Profile
Windshield Makes a Difference
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:30:47 AM »

I got the windshield today for my Zero S ZF9.

The first thing I did was hop on the freeway to check the top speed. Instead of maxing out at 79 MPH - the speedometer kept climbing... to 83, and then a second later to 84... and for just a split second I saw '85' on the gauge, but it settled at 84 MPH and stayed there as long as I held the throttle open. I only rode that fast for 1/2 mile, but it was sweet to silently fly by all of the traffic on the freeway. Oh, and by the way - I don't have my license plate yet  ;)
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
Re: Windshield Makes a Difference
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 06:17:44 AM »

interesting. let us know how you go in range. Always wondered how much aerodynamics affects speed and range of the Zeros.
T
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 10:27:50 AM »

I would say that aerodynamics is just about everything. The rolling resistance on pavement and mechanical friction are a small percentage of power consumption at any "normal" highway riding speeds.

A good confirmation of this is the fact that you can go more miles on dirt than on pavement. That seems counter intuitive, given the greater rolling resistance on dirt, but on most dirt trails the speed is much lower than on street (less air drag). Also not holding steady throttle (dirt riding is usually frequently varying speed) helps to keep the copper from heating as much, causing its resistance to stay lower which would decrease IR losses.

liveforphysics

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 07:31:19 AM »

If you desire as much speed as possible, you can reach >92mph on your machine on a warm day (because air resistance is lower and the battery performs substantially better), if you put your body in a proper racing tuck, meaning elbows tucked in, legs and feet tucked tight, chin to the bars, etc.   It's not very comfortable obviously, but if you're ever begging for an extra couple MPH, the bike will do it with the right rider position. 

Fully upright on a motorcycle, a rider is kinda like a drag parachute, and you can easily see a 5-10mph difference just from rider position.

On my GSXR-1000, I can't go over ~150ish if I'm sitting even a tiny bit upright.  Lay flat to the tank and she has another 25mph in her.
This post and every post is in tribute to the free idea exchange. The free exchange of ideas accelerates all EV development.

Giving my time to the electric revolution is done with pleasure.

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 08:03:23 AM »

If you desire as much speed as possible, you can reach >92mph on your machine on a warm day (because air resistance is lower and the battery performs substantially better), if you put your body in a proper racing tuck, meaning elbows tucked in, legs and feet tucked tight, chin to the bars, etc.   It's not very comfortable obviously, but if you're ever begging for an extra couple MPH, the bike will do it with the right rider position. 

Fully upright on a motorcycle, a rider is kinda like a drag parachute, and you can easily see a 5-10mph difference just from rider position.

On my GSXR-1000, I can't go over ~150ish if I'm sitting even a tiny bit upright.  Lay flat to the tank and she has another 25mph in her.
Are there any aero fairing upgrades being developed/considered?  (I'd be happy to beta test;)
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 04:31:29 PM »

Guess we take the parts and start with a new design ! Just like steve Jobs created the future by NOT copying existing styles. Just on a recent trip in Asia i saw many low powerd ICE motards looking like a Zero.
Lets change the game. Go for better aero and style.
Not a just a sport bike either.

Ideas ? Lets work on them.

Tom
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 09:15:09 PM »

In their episode evaluating the pollution produced by IC motorcycles, the Mythbusters fully enclosed a motorcycle in clear plastic, so that it resembled a Bonneville Salt Flat streamliner (or one of those recumbent bicycles that you see riding along the side of the road occasionally) .  Aerodynamically, it was very efficient, but it wasn't anything that I would want to ride or own.  And that is the problem. Designing something that works well and that people will buy. Not an easy task for sure.   ;)

Also, there was the Dan Gurney Alligator. It also was very low and aerodynamic, but he only sold 35 of them.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 10:04:08 PM »

I like the looks of the Zero, but if you want more speed you could design it more like a Ninja or other sport bikes where you are naturally crouched down just to reach the handlebars.  A Ninja 250 with that small 250 engine goes 95 mph and the small windshield that comes on the bike works very well. I'm not sure everyone wants to be down in a sport bike position though. Yes, another 10 mph would be nice for the Zero, but more importantly a rapid acceleration to 88 mph. Speed limits are creeping up too. Texas was considering an 85 mph speed limit on some interstates, and then there's Germany. One thing I would NOT like to see is more weight and bigger batteries and frames and motors to try and go faster. The trade-off would not be worth it to me. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 05:07:26 AM »

Here is another "streamliner".  The fellow riding it said that it made a huge difference in reducing drag on his bicycle. It had a nice rear compartment reached by a zipper along the top of the fabric.  He also said that it used to have an electric motor, which he removed. (I guess it made riding it too easy.   ;)  )
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]