• April 27, 2024, 06:42:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Did I Get The Wrong Controller?  (Read 2323 times)

Gregski

• View Profile
Did I Get The Wrong Controller?
« on: September 12, 2011, 10:28:54 AM »

Originally I planned on buying a 72 volt controller but because of money I settled for the Alltrax AXE 4834. The AXE is the model that is programmable. The 48 means it's a 48 volt and the 3 means it's 300 amps for those of you not familiar with the Alltrax brand. I landed one for around $150 bucks on eBay ( = score ! )

Anyway I would like to commute on my motorcycle conversion (Suzuki Katana GSX600F) however my top speed is barely 40 MPH with an average of 30 MPH just a bit shy of what I would feel comfortable with on busy city streets. My one way distance is just shy of 10 miles. I weigh a tad bit north of 200 lbs suited up.

I am currently running a 12 tooth front sprocket and a 47 rear. I just ordered a 13 tooth sprocket for the front and it should show up any day now. I know that gearing will help, but I am just trying to avoid any self imposed bottle necks.

When I bought this controller my logic went lie this. Why do I need anything more than the 300 amps if my MARS ME0709 motor is rated at 125 amps continuous and 300 amps peak. Right?

Well what I have learned during my two year conversion is that there is a set of heuristics or rules of thumb one must be aware of in the world of electricity. For instance what we call a 12 volt battery like you find in your car, is anything but, it's really a 13.6 battery and at 12 volts it's considered dead. And one would think at 6 volts it's 50% depleted... WRONG!

Also a 48 volt motor can be "over volted" to say 60 volts. OK, but a controller can not be "over volted" because it will cause a puff of black smoke. And word on the street is that a 300 amp controller may only be a 275 amp controller and a 400 amp controller really only a 350 amp controller, see where I am going with this? Some specs go one way, others the other, it's what keeps me up at night, LOL.

So considering the optimistic marketing specs of controllers would I get more umph out of the next model up i.e. the AXE4844 which runs up to 400 amps? Did I buy the wrong controller?

I know that ultimately I would like to go to the AXE7245 (72 volts, 400 amps) but that will be costly as I will need two more batteries, a different charger, a new solenoid, etc...

Bogan

• View Profile
Re: Did I Get The Wrong Controller?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:47:37 AM »

I got the 4844, as they said the 4834 sometimes had issues with the me0708, but you have the me0709 which I understand doesn't run into these issues, so I reckon you're all good there. What have you set your battery cutout to? it could be the limiting factor at higher speeds.

Allen_OKC

• View Profile
Re: Did I Get The Wrong Controller?
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 09:45:56 PM »

i know my 48 volt 400 amp controller pulled 53mph on a flat street with 15 tooth up front and a 48 tooth rear sprocket - and thats with the motor running backwards CW - i was told that the mars motor ME0709 is timed for CCW - lifepo4 headway cells 16S2P...

the motorcycle im building now is Alltrax 72 volt 300 amp with the same motor and im considering the 15 tooth with 60 tooth rear sprocket for that 4:1 ratio...

so if anyone has  a set like that i would like to know what your range and top speed is...

headway lifepo4 batteries 23S3P set up...
I havent succeeded until it blows up in my face...
Pages: [1]