• March 28, 2024, 09:52:48 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: can ds2010 be modified to be quick charged? or have SAE J1772 Charging Socket?  (Read 2617 times)

rollandelliott

• View Profile

can ds2010 be modified to be quick charged? or have SAE J1772 Charging Socket?

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2&sort=20a&page=2

my electric company is offering it's cusotmers free recharing stations for any electric vechicle.

http://www.duke-energy.com/plugin/chargeCarolinasEnrollmentForm.asp

it would be great to take advage of this program

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics

Unfortunately as of now, a quick charging upgrade is unavailable, however the J1772 adapter is an easy install.  I have J1772 kits in stock and ready to ship.

Feel free to contact me directly if you have any further questions.

Harlan
harlan (at) hollywoodelectrics.com
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

rollandelliott

• View Profile

how hard it is to install? are there any videos showing how to install?
zeros web site says a dealer must install it, but I'm pretty handy and the closest dealer is hours away from me.

Spires

• View Profile

They told me that a y cable can be constructed for the 2010 DS/S that could provide quick charging.. I was inquiring about a 2010 model before I got the 2011 model DS.. The Y cable can also be constructed for the older 2009/2010 X and MX bikes.. When I asked about constructing the cable they were all really wishy/washy about it though.. I was told they used them but for some reason, nobody knew who had them, how to make them and that I could possibly find out online.. Something I found unacceptable.. They should be able to give you anything you need for these bikes! Especially if they have used them before.. I like my two Zero bikes, but the company's laxidasical attitude towards giving the customer the parts and compatability info is absolutely terrible! I've been waiting 2 months for info on the rear sprocket bolt pattern.. They only offer 3 sizes and I want more options, they assured me the 4 bolt pattern is some standard but none of the guys at Zero know for what... I mean they construct these bikes, engineer them from the ground up and they somehow end up with a sprocket bolt pattern, of which, they know nothing about?!? AHA Hah ha.. Crazy! So if you start asking about the Y cable for the earlier models don't expect much..
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:34:50 AM by Spires »

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics

how hard it is to install? are there any videos showing how to install?
zeros web site says a dealer must install it, but I'm pretty handy and the closest dealer is hours away from me.

It is a very simple install.  Doesn't require any rewiring or frame modification.  Should take you less than a half hour, even if you've never done it before.

In response to Spires' post, making a quick charging cable for the 2010 S/DS is not as trivial as the X/MX.  It would require modification of the wiring harness including that which is housed inside the battery.

Also, Spires, I don't want to hijack this post, but if you contact me directly I'd be happy to try and find you the right sprocket for your application.
Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

Biff

• View Profile

The J1772 adaptor on the bike is just a plug that takes the 220V AC available from the J1772, and plugs it into the on board charger which is good for 1kW.   The only reason to get a J1772 plug for the Zero is if you absolutely have no options for charging other than using a J1772 charge point, it is just as fast (and you don't have to pay for the expensive connector), to plug in the bike to a regular 110 or 220V outlet.

If you wanted to buy some power supplies to do quick charges on your Zero, you should contact someone at Zero who knows what current those batteries can actually take without blowing up.  It isn't that difficult to wire up an external plug that goes right to the B+ and B- lugs on your controller where you can put as much current into your battery as you want (as long as your bike is turned on, which shouldn't be a problem since your power supplies are probably not going to be that portable), I don't think the Zero battery management system would open the contractor  when you start putting current into the battery, but it might open when it is at full capacity.

rollandelliott

• View Profile

It looks like the ds2011 uses this external charge controller for the quick charge.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=125&zenid=0q3qfvfvdrlj3p25nq8clifaf0

I don't own the bike yet, will this charger plug into the older 2010 battery?
Aren't the 2010 and 2011 battery the same voltage, just one has more amp/hrs (capacity)
if so seems like you could use the charger, but I'll ask zero for sure.

Spires

• View Profile

I am using my older 2009 ZeroX charger for a quick charge on my DS when I need it.. Most of the time I just park in the garage and let the bike charge slowly with one charger. But I have used the other bike's charger and it does work, it charges much faster.

rollandelliott

• View Profile

Great, but does Zero recommend that method of charging?

I do not know about this particular battery, but most batteries lives are shortened if they are charged too quickly and are overheated. it would be penny wise and pound foolish to burn up a $3000 to $4000 battery by slowing messing it up.
edited to add:.....
I did call zero and they said the faster charger for the 2011 DS is not compatible with the 2010DS, he said he would look into other possible fast charging solutions and get back to me.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 03:50:56 AM by rollandelliott »

craigster

• View Profile

I know its a dead post but did you ever find a way to do some quick charging? I have a 2010 S and want to charge it as fast as possible, just not sure what the max charge rate is.

craigster

• View Profile

I am using my older 2009 ZeroX charger for a quick charge on my DS when I need it.. Most of the time I just park in the garage and let the bike charge slowly with one charger. But I have used the other bike's charger and it does work, it charges much faster.

How did you connect the two chargers? Zero only sells a Y-connector for 2012+ did you make one? and if so did you increase the gauge of wiring within the battery control wiring and fuse size to handle the additional current? any pictures? thanks
Pages: [1]