• April 26, 2024, 09:29:10 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Motor sounds when coasting  (Read 1740 times)

evanrij

• View Profile
Motor sounds when coasting
« on: June 18, 2011, 07:23:10 PM »

Hi, I have a Raleigh, lately it sounds like the engine is running even when it isn't. I can shut off the motor and push it around my backyard and it still has that sound. Any thoughts? I just bought it used so I am not that familiar with it yet. I am pretty sure it was silent unless I turned the throttle on it.

Thanks! EvR

Big Dave

• View Profile
Re: Motor sounds when coasting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 03:41:56 AM »

I bought a used 2014 S and have a buzz when pushing around, I think it's normal if the switch is on or off I notice it stops if my kickstand is down

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 03:56:05 AM »

Zeros don't seem to like to be pushed around with the ignition on or with the charger plugged in.  When you do that they groan.  But I don't think it hurts anything.  If it makes a rumbling noise with the ignition off and the charger not connected then you are likely just hearing the motor being spun as you push the bike around, since there is no neutral position to disconnect the motor from the rear wheel. Also the belt will make some noise, too.

I don't think the noise is anything to be concerned about.   :)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 04:01:03 AM »

The noise is called "cogging" and it's something that electric motors do when their field is rotating. It's normal on a Zero, although I wouldn't call it a buzz. When the field cuts out (via interlock on the kickstand or the key), the noise stops. Check some Youtube videos to compare.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: [1]