• April 26, 2024, 08:46:17 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Is Today's EV Range Enough?  (Read 1789 times)

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Is Today's EV Range Enough?
« on: October 27, 2008, 09:52:58 PM »

Interesting comments on the general state of electric motorcycle range here...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/10/25/electric-motorsport-gpr-s-electric-motorcycle/#comments

I think everyone agrees the range is not adequate with today's technology to have an electric as your only motorcycle.  Most people seem to agree existing range is fine for offroad parks. 

Bogan

• View Profile
Re: Is Today's EV Range Enough?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 03:14:49 AM »

i wonder how feasable it would be to put a small 2kw generator on the pillion seat for long trips, would still be far more fuel efficient than petrol bikes, and range would easily get you from petrol station to petrol station round a country, noise and a bit of a warm arse would be the downsides though!

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:47:24 PM »

Hey Bogan, not sure if you saw this post...

http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=148.0

Looks like that could work and could be even better with a more efficient ICE.

whatisthis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 04:58:49 AM »

EV range is more than adequate. Isn't it true that 90% of daily trips in the US are less than 20 miles?

Tell you what in the rest of the globe it is a hell of a lot less than that. Please start churnning out EV's so I buy one.

For me 15km range would do it with seating for four and room for the school bags.

Gardener

• View Profile
    • My Renewable Energy Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 11:53:35 PM »

I agree with Whatisthis. My own daily commute is just 12 miles one way and if I need to pick up some emergency groceries, then I can do that on the way back. I am unlikely to exceed 30 miles on a single day when I am working. For this kind of commute, an electric motorcycle would be nice.

skyclark

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 04:59:50 AM »

The range is useful enough for most of my riding. 

My commuting and around town riding is easily accomplished in 40 miles.  Most woods rides I do are only a few hours which is also doable. 

The issue is the few longer rides that wouldnt be doable.  I would need a battery stashed at a mid point or to stop for an extended break, both things that might not be easy depending on circumstance.

I will buy an electric when I have the funds, but wont consider it a truly mature product until the range or charging speed is addressed.
Pages: [1]