• April 26, 2024, 07:37:48 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Poll

Would you be interested in purchasing a compact lightweight 3.3kW charger for USD700?

Yes, one charger for USD700 sounds great, I want one
- 25 (42.4%)
Yes Yes, I'd take two chargers for USD1250
- 12 (20.3%)
No, I need a charger that is waterproof/dustproof
- 14 (23.7%)
No, I'm happy with my current charging setup
- 4 (6.8%)
No, that price is too high for me
- 1 (1.7%)
No, I just love filling out polls
- 3 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 59

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Compact lightweight up to 8kW fast charger for under USD1600 delivered  (Read 17162 times)

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY

Update as of 5th October - after a delay in receipt of the custom charger cases, the final double chargers will be shipping from Tuesday 10th October. There are 6 new double chargers remaining for purchase at http://evtricity.com.au/shop and these will be the final EVtricity chargers that will be offered in 2017. We will continue to provide support to all of our charger owners and truly appreciate the emails and pictures about how you've been able to enjoy longer trips on your Zeros. We've been warmly supported by almost everyone in the Zero community we've engaged with in our endeavour to provide lower cost fast charging and have shipped almost sixty 3.3-8.8kW chargers worldwide in just 5 months. A sincere thank you to all the EVtricity charger owners.

On a personal note I have been splitting my time between the EVtricity Zero chargers and a new electricity comparison and energy saving service for Australian households at https://wattever.com.au. I'll be devoting the majority of my working time to wattever.com.au over the next few months while continuing to provide support to EVtricity charger owners in 2017 and 2018. I'm also hoping to ride my SR a little more and enjoy spring and summer in Australia.

In terms of future charging solutions, we have some new Zero fast charging options - in addition to what we have provided in 2017 - that we will be evaluating over coming months. In 2018, we'll assess whether there is an opportunity to again provide fast charging options for Zero motorcycles.

Update as of 1st August - we have sold out of our single chargers and are not planning to make any more at this time. We have 8 double chargers that will be shipping in September. The double chargers provide up to 8kW DC charging, can be configured at lower power levels and also run at half power (i.e. 3-4kW) if you only have access to limited power.

Update as of 24th July 2017 - thank you to everyone who has purchased or shown interest in our chargers. We have now delivered close to 300kW of double and single chargers in the last two months across the USA, Europe and Australia. We're very pleased to have been able to offer Zero owners lower cost fast charging for those whose needs match the capabilities of our products.

Due to the lower demand for the single chargers and increase in cost of the rectifiers we use as the basis for these charging kits, we will only be offering the double chargers once the remaining single chargers are sold out (there are three left as of 24th July). The price of the double chargers will increase from AUD1690 to AUD1990. I've updated the thread title to recognise this as well as the Aussie dollar's increasing strength against the US dollar in recent weeks. All pricing will remain in AUD so please check the conversion for your currency. Pricing includes Express International delivery and tracking but does not include any local import duties or sales tax/VAT. We have secured supply of more rectifiers so that the next batch of double chargers will be available in September. Pre-orders are welcome as are questions to support@evtricity.com.au. We have also modified the charger power on our online shop and in this thread title to reflect the full capabilities of the chargers i.e. they are 4kW DC (4.4kW AC) and 8kW DC (8.8kW AC) for the single and double charger respectively. We are happy to configure lower current settings (and corresponding power output) if you need to be able to use the chargers on 15A or 16A circuits.

Update as at 9th June 2017 - worldwide production deliveries of our 6.6+kW and 3.3+kW charging kits are commencing Tuesday 13th June. We expect to send all pre-orders on that date and any orders received going forward will be configured and shipped within 3 business days where items are in stock. Product details and stock levels are shown on our site at http://evtricity.com.au/shop

Update as at 11th May 2017 - we are now offering pre-ordering of 3.3+kW and 6.6+kw fast chargers on our web site at http://evtricity.com.au/shop. Detailed products specifications, configuration options and accessories are all available for your review - even the User Manual! Deliveries of final production units is to commence in June subject to testing in Europe and the USA underway in May.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Running a quick poll to confirm what interest there is for compact, low cost fast chargers for your Zero

Over recent months we've been developing and testing chargers with Zero riders around Sydney, Australia using high efficiency (96%+) data centre rectifiers. The chargers utilise a pair of rectifiers and deliver up to 4kW DC and are packaged in a rugged, aluminium case.

Here are some basic specs on the chargers:

Single charger:
Standard AC input socket = IEC C20
Standard AC current = 15A
AC input voltage = 85-300V
Standard DC output = 3.3kW - 15A @ 220v
Maximum DC output = 4kW (on request)
Dimensions = 29cm x 18cm x 5cm
Weight = 3kg
Charging time from empty with onboard (useable 10kWh capacity) = ~ 2 hours
Single DC fast charger cable included
BYO IEC C19 15A+ cable for your country

Double charger:
Two chargers in one case with separate AC input and DC output
Standard AC input socket = 2 x IEC C20
Standard AC current = 2 x 15A
AC input voltage = 85-300V
Standard DC output = 6.6kW - 30A @ 220v
Maximum DC output = 8kW (on request)
Dimensions = 29cm x 18cm x 10cm
Weight = 6kg
Charging time from empty with onboard (useable 10kWh capacity) = <1.5 hours
Double DC fast charger cable included
BYO 2 x IEC C19 15A+ cable for your country

Optional J1772 32A adaptor can be made supplied to allow you to use these chargers at J1772 stations. Cost = <USD200.

For these chargers, the default power will be set to 15A AC per single charger - that's 3300W @ 220v or 3600W @ 240v. This allows them to be used on common 15A sockets and paired up at 30A charging stations (double charger or two single chargers). Their maximum AC power draw can be pushed to ~4400 watts for a single charger if desired. The double charger is double these outputs.

Important Note: these chargers are fan cooled and are not water or dust/dirt proof. They need to be protected from the elements whether on the bike (weather proof panniers, top box or backpack) or off (undercover when wet and away from mud, sand etc).

If you want a charger that you can leave exposed to the elements this is not the charger for you.

Thanks for reading - please fill out the poll above and if you have any questions please post them here.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:51:40 PM by evtricity »
2015 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV
2013 Nissan Leaf

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
Re: Compact lightweight 3.3kW fast charger for USD700
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2017, 06:28:24 AM »

Happy with the digiNow SuperCharger v2 (Elcon 3.3kW)... though at a much higher price than you are talking about. My target is three 3.3kW (9.9kW total) modules under a chargetank cowl. Different use case for me, I want to ride in mountain weather and unimproved desert roads. I'm sure the evtricity charging will appeal to the casual rider.

Any way you do it, get interested in quick charging! There's no going back to being limited by slow charging once you have industry-standard quick charging capability.

dukecola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 07:40:51 AM »

How will these handle bumps? Also no fans, does that mean they have to be used off-bike?

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 08:00:49 AM »

In terms of vibration, we have tested them being placed in pannier bags and top boxes for over 2,000km without issue.

The rectifiers that the chargers use aren't specifically designed to be used in high vibration environments so we are considering adding some vibration protection to them before offering them to the public.

Each single charger has two fans that run front to back and they do have an internal heatsink. We would suggest using them off-bike but they could be mounted inside a pannier or top box but there needs to be space at the front and back of the charger to allow sufficient air flow in and out.
2013 Nissan Leaf

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 12:48:34 PM »

Will these chargers hurt any warranty claims for Zero bikes?

evtricity

• View Profile
    • EVTRICITY
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 01:39:55 PM »

According to Todd Andersen who posted on facebook as VP of Sales & Marketing from Zero - "Zero's warranty excludes any damage caused by the use of non-Zero accessories, including chargers".

So, Zero don't warrant any non-Zero chargers including the one that I'm asking for expressions of interest for.

Do you lose warranty on the whole bike if you use a non-Zero charger - interpreting Todd's response above I would say "No".

The proposed chargers are designed to be high power, low cost, compact and lightweight. I would love Zero to offer such a charger and we've been asking them for years for it with little progress.

So, we're just rolling our sleeves up and getting on with it by assembling chargers using high quality commercial components and offering them to Zero owners who want to ride their bikes more. Buyers of this charger need to assess the information we provide about the chargers before they purchase and decide whether there is any risk of damaging the bike. I know that both our chargers and the bike have a number of in-built mechanisms to prevent any damage, but again the buyer needs to make that assessment for themselves.

If we do choose to offer these chargers in future we will reveal more information about the chargers and the commercial UL, EN and IEC listed components that they use.
2013 Nissan Leaf

vaiarii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »

YES!

I would buy this 700USD compact 3.3kW, non-weather proof charger as soon as possible!!

This is a perfect compromise between the useless 1kW zero charger and the too expensive 4.6kW diginow charger (even given its non-weather proof aspect)

And as i'm not an electric skilled person, I'm waiting for a ready to use solution.

Do you provide optional mennekes adaptor? (as these are much more versatile in my area => PARIS)

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 03:13:56 PM »

I think that we can take a reasonable guess that these are based on two Eltek Flatpack2 rectifiers - as has been posted about here.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 03:15:32 PM by Fred »
Zero SR/F
Ducati Hypermotard 950

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 03:30:15 PM »

I think given the number of people developing charging solutions for the Zero's shows that probably the #1 issue for our bikes is the rather weak range of official charging options.

The 1.3kw onboard charger is pretty much a joke charger in the modern EV age, and among the weakest chargers available on an EV motorbike.
The offboard chargers are both weak, and bulky
While the charge tank at 2.5kW is barely adequate, and seems to waste space, given people are sticking 10kW chargers in that same space.

I'm really worried that Zero is not taking charging seriously enough, and we really need to see official high power AC, and or DC charging support sooner rather than later. Hell look at Energica, 3.3kw AC charging and around 20kW DC charging is a standard feature on both the Eva and Ego.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Skidz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 04:21:27 PM »

Yes, I'd be interested if I wasn't building my own charging solution already. Just the bare charger I'm building costs 700 Euro's so the price is comparable.
But, as you might have guessed by the currency I'm using, my guess is you are situated in the USA. Importing these would cost about 19%, VAT comes in at 21% so for us European users this might be a bit more expensive...

But I do welcome the initiative, a sub-$1000 4kW charger sounds great!

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 04:44:30 PM »

The 1.3kw onboard charger is pretty much a joke charger in the modern EV age, and among the weakest chargers available on an EV motorbike.

650W charger on the FX and FXS :(
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 10:33:31 PM by MajorMajor »

hubert

• '14 Zero S, nuke charged
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2017, 09:37:13 PM »

650kW charger on the FX and FXS :(

Ouch!! That's about 4 times more powerfull than the best Tesla supercharger!  8)
2014 Zero S
Velomobile "Quest"
Mitsubishi i-MiEV

MajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2017, 10:34:50 PM »

Charges in 32.4 seconds, it's really great for range anxiety.

Shadow

• Global Moderator
  • 130,000mi electric since 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2017, 12:11:03 AM »

Ouch!! That's about 4 times more powerfull than the best Tesla supercharger!  8)
For the sarcasm-impaired home gamers, that should've read "650W" not kW.

gyrocyclist

• Zero. Because motorcycles should be seen and not heard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2017, 05:12:25 AM »

For the sarcasm-impaired home gamers, that should've read "650W" not kW.
Munch, munch, eating my lunch: lasagna and a salad. Either 480 cal or 480 Cal.
One makes you larger, and one makes you small ;)
2018 SR
2016 Honda CB500X
2022 BMW F900XR
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15